Which bike for etape?

sqwerl_mk2
sqwerl_mk2 Posts: 31
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
2008 obviously!
My question's not going down to well in gear and know-how so I'll try here.

I need a bike with gears (I only have one bike - a fixed hub) to train for and ride the etape in 2008. I'd like the Wilier Mortirolo Chorus but I'll probably never do any "real" racing, just sportives etc. So is something like the Roubaix Expert a better buy? They're both about the same price so costs is not a deciding factor.

Comments

• McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Dunno about those two bikes (which you seem fairly well set on), but the Enigma Esprit is made for sportive riding and it's a beauty :wink: You can see it at www.enigmabikes.co.uk

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • sqwerl_mk2
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    Dunno about those two bikes (which you seem fairly well set on), but the Enigma Esprit is made for sportive riding and it's a beauty :wink: You can see it at www.enigmabikes.co.uk

I'll take a look when their website comes back to life! thanks
  • McBain_v1
    Erm,

you could try www.enigmabikes.com

I think I fluffed it first time around :oops:

• sqwerl_mk2
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    Erm,

you could try www.enigmabikes.com

I think I fluffed it first time around :oops:

yeah, found it. Titanium was something I was considering. Van Nicholas are also very nice.
  • McBain_v1
    What group set are you going to stick on this machine of yours :?:
    The new Shimano stuff is looking nice, especially the compact chain-set.
    Mind you, the Campag Record groupset is a symphony in carbon.
    Or will you buck the trend and go for SRAM Red :evil:

• sqwerl_mk2
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    What group set are you going to stick on this machine of yours :?:
    The new Shimano stuff is looking nice, especially the compact chain-set.
    Mind you, the Campag Record groupset is a symphony in carbon.
    Or will you buck the trend and go for SRAM Red :evil:

I'm looking around the 2k mark which is going to be Chorus or Ultegra. I don't have an alliegence to either so I don't really care. Record or Dura Ace are going to cost too much and I can't see them being worth the extra money anyway, apart from the fact that it's nice to have the best. Any weight saving is too minimal to worry about. A compact is a dead cert though
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Well I've got a Mortirolo with Centaur and it's a fantastic bike. Not done more than 60 miles on it yet but doing 90 this weekend, so far it's been very comfy for 3 hour rides and I'm sure it'll be fine for longer distances but I'll find out this weekend!
  • sqwerl_mk2
    Well I've got a Mortirolo with Centaur and it's a fantastic bike. Not done more than 60 miles on it yet but doing 90 this weekend, so far it's been very comfy for 3 hour rides and I'm sure it'll be fine for longer distances but I'll find out this weekend!

great. Let me know how you get on. I'd rather have the Wilier but I had a sit on the Roubaix yesterday and it is a nice comfy geometry. Seems like a great bike. I can get a good discount on a Wilier plus expert fitting and advice, rather than from the young spod in Cycle Surgery yesterday (pointless). I've read comments that some people don't get on with the geometry. Going to try one next weekend hopefully