Nottingham ? ? ? ? ? ?

macs
macs Posts: 209
edited August 2007 in Routes
Is there any riding to be had around here?

Moved to the area fairly recently and want to get some decent riding in without going to the Peaks all the time. I love the Peaks and go a fair amount but i dont always have most of a day to dedicate to driving up, riding, and driving back.

I live to the west of the city so anywhere close to there would be great. Any pointers?

Cheers
Macs

Comments

• jimmyla
    jimmyla Posts: 24
    Macs

There's plenty about to the north of nottingham and depends on how long you want to be out.

for a short blast along steep singletrack go to Bestwood Park

For a longer ride go to Sansom woods which can be tied up with Blidworth Woods and Burntstump Woods or you've got Thieves Woods south of Mansfield.

The most obvious place to go is Sherwood Pines which has loads of flowing singletrack.

All of the trails are natural, hidden, follow you nose stuff which is found by exploring and there is loads out there.
    Saying one thing and doing something else is hypocritical.

Saying many things and doing nothing is democracy
  • adamskib
    adamskib Posts: 53
    ALSO... I discovered recently... alongside Moorgreen resevoir and around the Felly Mill area (Eastwood/Underwood...ish) there are some good steep trails and a small but "quite exciting" selection of jumps/downhill madness.
    I hear there is riding to be had around the Hemlockstone area too... not been there yet.

You are welcome to drop me a line as I ride on my own at the moment... based in Eastwood.
  • daxion
    daxion Posts: 104
    Adam,

Hi, I'm over at Belper and know Eastwood reasonably well.
    Next time you're going riding round Moorgreen I'd like to join you.

You're only approx 20min down the rd,

Usually I ride at Wharncliffe woods, trouble is it's 1hr drive to get there.
    Be good to have somewhere closer.

Technical single track and a bit of FR/DH

Dax
    Dave - Spin instructor
    Adam,

Hi, I'm over at Belper and know Eastwood reasonably well.
    Next time you're going riding round Moorgreen I'd like to join you.

You're only approx 20min down the rd,

Usually I ride at Wharncliffe woods, trouble is it's 1hr drive to get there.
    Be good to have somewhere closer.

Technical single track and a bit of FR/DH

Dax

Probably one night this week... Monday/tuesday.... drop me a PM with your mobile number and i will give you a shout.

Adam.
  • daxion
    Can't do weekday evenings, got to be daytime (wed onwards) or Weekends.
    Dave - Spin instructor
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • daxion
    Just did the lady bower classic on Sun, excellent trail.
    Plotting it on my GPS I'll have the route uploaded on my site soon
    Dave - Spin instructor
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    Hi again Dax, done bits of that. Fun, isn't it. Not touched the bits south of the A57 yet.

Always wondered about how accurate guide books are with descriptions of times etc. How long did it take you to get round? Did you attack it full on or pace yourself?

If you like the classics have you been to the other end of the cutgate and been round Langsett? (route in the 'Dark Peak' book?) Went over there a few months back with Klem, Dave, Katt etc. They loved it. I was of course in last place....
  • daxion
    Hi G,
    Guide books are only good as a guide, we took a wrong turn and ended up 2miles in the wrong direction, lol. Rach had her brake pads wear out half way round (replaced with sintered, resin wear too easily). No rear brake for the rest of the trail. she was none too happy about that.

My plotted route - starting from fairholmes
    http://www.heretic-sports.info/daxphoto ... -33km.html
    4100ft of ascent over 33km

We were there 4.5hrs at a steady pace it was really hot that day 23deg

Riding to see the old crashed B29 bomber at bleaklow soon. (NW of Ladybower)

How are Klem, Dave and Kat? Not heard from them in ages.
    Have you had a look at my Photo album?
    Dave - Spin instructor
    Not seen them in a few months myself. Got a ‘new toy’ - a roady, so as tends to happen, the old toys been pushed to the back for a while. Can’t remember if Langsett was the last time, I think I’ve had a short blast round Pines with Klem and Dave since. Dave wasn’t feeling too good and spent a fair bit of time laid on the floor next to the new dirt jumps. Didn’t help that he turned up on his singlespeed, big boys BMX.

Last time I went out with one of ‘the gang’, Stew, one of his mates and I started off round part of that route you did at the start of the thread. On a day with a severe weather warning…..It was better than we thought, unfortunately its possibly the only time I’ve backed out of a ride. Mother of all migraines hit at the top of a hill, so I made my way back after convincing them I was OK enough to do that by myself.

This crap weathers made it too easy to make the roady the preferred mode of transport.

“Hmm, I’ve got an hour, Do I:
    1, MTB for a ½ an hour and wash it down for ½
    2, Roady for an hour?”

Really need to get the MTB out. It’d be nice to see what these summer tyres are like on dry ground!
  • daxion
    Arrrhhhhh Noooooo you've moved to the dark side, lol.

I've found some great trails locally in Ambergate woods XC and DH (DH similar to Wharny)
    It's Derbyshire so it's going to be hilly.

Have you been to Wharny lately? there is a new XC route and DH routes

We'll have to meet up sometime
    Dave - Spin instructor

Have I been to Wharny recently?

Not been once yet. I couldn’t make it when you went with Stew and the rest and the thought/rumours of Wharny mud made me think I’d wait till it got dry in summer……. It is supposed to get dry in summer, isn’t it? I’m talking generally, not just Wharnecliffe

I’ll get there one day tho’

You got a grid ref or something for ambergate woods? I’ll pop it into google earth or maps
  • daxion
    the fast track is dry most of the time.
    the XC is dry in most sections but there are places where it's a little muddy, a lot less than cannock or even pines.

do you have Google Earth I can email you the location.
    be back at 12.00
    Dave - Spin instructor
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    Seems to be a MTB/XC thread, but..................I moved to west bridgford a year ago from surrey. Some beautiful road riding in south Notts/North leics area. Nice rolling roads, very quiet traffic on a sunday. I have a few routes on mapmyrun
    Robert Millar for knighthood