Resarting MTBing and looking for some one to ride with.

HJ1976
HJ1976 Posts: 205
edited October 2007 in Women
Hello,
Well I have decided to get fit, and as I have Hypermobility Syndrome I have been told by my Physio that cycling is a good way of gtting fit.
I'm based in Middlesbrough (so one has to be :? ) so was wondering if anyone would like to meet up with a 31 year old wussy woman on a 11 year old rigid Scott Timber, who is soo unfit it is unbelievable :oops: -give me a yell!
I liked Dalby when I was there on Saturday morning so wouldn't say no to joining some easy rides there.
Ta :D

Comments

• Kitty
    Kitty Posts: 2,844
    My boyfriend has that and I'm not sure if cycling actually helps that.
  • HJ1976
    I was told that becasue I wasn't actually putting weight on the joint (like I would in running or walking), or twisting it (like in swimming breast stroke) it can help build up the ligaments etc around my main problem area (my right knee)
  • Kitty
    Kitty Posts: 2,844
    If it's only your knees then it's ok, Chris has it in all his joints, and it's very painful.
  • HJ1976
    My frieds 4 year old son has just been confirmed as having it- but at least they will be able to bring him up knowing what to expect. I used to wake up in agony with my knee, and to a lesser extent my left knee and both ankes with no pain relief and understanding of why.
    Being flexible does have it's advantages- only one suspected broken bone in 31 years!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look in the 'rides' section and the NE crew - a couple are from Middlesborough and go on weekly rides to various parts of the region.
  • Pity your not down near Malton as I could do with a fellow cyclist that was not too seasoned as I rebuild my cycling muscles :lol:
    Orange P7, Arthur Caygill, Marin, Cannondale. Want Kona lava Dome
  • HJ1976
    It took me an hour to get to Dalby the other day, but that was mainly due to a combination of not much fuel, drag from the bike carrier, and the hurricane force gales over the tops near Fylingdales (I miss those golf balls)!
    No way on earth you would get me through Helmsley between jan 1st and dec 31st!
  • helsbels
    helsbels Posts: 11
    not sure if its a swear word on here but have you posted your ride request on shecycles.com - quite a few women from there on there (if you see what I mean!)
    www.getmountainbiking.co.uk
    Mountain bike skills courses in Northants/Milton Keynes for the uninitiated!
  • HJ1976
    Slightly off track but does anyone else in the tall lady crowd find in mildly annoying that we are expected to be over the moon when a bike shop points out its ladies range....even though I am taller and heavier than most of the lads that work there (and definately have longer legs)!
  • Hi HJ1976,

I'm from Hartlepool, 42 yr old, been riding for about 15 months, I usually ride with my partner Peter (47) in the North York Moors.
    If you want leisurly rides out, no pressure, (not fast) you're welcome to join us. I work alot of weekends so we try and do some rides mid week light nights, and the odd Sunday when i'm off work. We rode the red route at Dalby a few weeks ago, took us 4 hours.

If you look on ferryhillfreeriders forum there's a girl rider from ferry hill looking for someone to ride with too at weekends, she goes to Hamsterly and rides on her own while the Lads do the downhill stuff. We've been to Glentress with them and I think we are going up again near end of sept.
  • AMcD
    AMcD Posts: 236
    HJ1976 wrote:
    Slightly off track but does anyone else in the tall lady crowd find in mildly annoying that we are expected to be over the moon when a bike shop points out its ladies range....even though I am taller and heavier than most of the lads that work there (and definately have longer legs)!

I'm a short lady, 5'2" but can imagine your frustration. I wear Ron Hill Ladies' Bikesters and have inches of spare material bunching up around my knees and ankles. Why can't they offer different leg lengths? I'd like to eventually get some decent winter trousers but haven't found any that aren't a standard length. You can now get clothes in most shops in short / medium / long sizes but I haven't found sports wear companys taking this on.

I once had a pair of lycra shorts that I could pull to just under my bust- and that was before my bust had headed south :lol: ! Could have stuffed my shopping down them. Also I can't find a pair of Ladies' winter gloves for my shorter than normal fingers. So, I bought a pair of child's ski gloves which fit perfectly but found they are too bulky for handling the bike.

I get really annoyed that my average-height husband can buy his bikes / gear / shoes off the peg, have an extensive choice and have them fit perfectly whereas whatever I buy either doesn't fit right or needs tweeking, including my bike. It helps that he's a perfect weight for his height and I'm definately not, but working on it :oops: !
  • HJ1976
    I have leased my old bike to a friend/colleague so i finally have some one to ride with!

Tell you what AMcD, cut off your excess lycra, and post it to me make my shorts vaguely each my knees! :lol:
  • AMcD
    I've cut it off, there's yards and yards, now where should I post it? :lol: And would you like me to lauder it first? :lol:
  • AMcD
    That's Northern spelling for launder........ :oops:
  • goosey
    goosey Posts: 103
    Hi HJ

Swaledale Outdoor Club has a great Mountain Bike section with lots of ladies riding.
    Take a look at the programme here: ...http://www.swaledaleoutdoorclub.org.uk/programme/programme.php?section=Mountain+Biking&month=All and come and join in!