Dalby Forest red route map & visitor center opening time

ACDCwmb
ACDCwmb Posts: 225
edited July 2007 in Routes
Hi, anyone know the opening times for Sundays, I'm going to try the red route on Sunday and I would like a map of the new route, I want an early start but I'm not sure if it will be open when I get there (0700-0800). If some one could send me a copy of the new route I would appreciate it, at least I could start early then buy a map when I've done ready for the next time.

Cheers all
[url]uttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3644058624_66a72402ee.jpg/]Hardtail[/url]

Comments

• xc-andy
    xc-andy Posts: 174
    the map you get at dalby gatehouse is of the park , not the actual bike route. I dunno if they do one of the actual route.
    All the routes are signed anyway, so you just follow the arrows. Couldn't be simpler.
    If there is a map of all the routes round dalby somewhere i wouldn't mind one myself as the routes bisect each other quite frequently, and it would be nice to know a quick way back in case of bike damage/body damage/hunger/needing sex etc.
    cheers
    Andy :)
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    The Purple Bike Shop near the Centre sell a map at 50p. Mind you you'd think the forestry commission would give you one for free with the £7 entry charge. And I wouldn't be too sure about finding your way around by following arrows - we ended up going round in circles and eventually had to follow an "Escape" sign to find the road again!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • HJ1976
    HJ1976 Posts: 205
    They have the maps at the viitor centre too, would scan mine that I got the other day, but it is laminated already :(
    Oh yes and I did the short green- the wrong way round by accident too including a side trip to a gate with a nice notice sayingI had gone the wrong way!
  • RygelUK
    RygelUK Posts: 32
    Map is HERE

My tip for Dalby - Go early, then you avoid the gate fees, usually before 9am gets you in for nought. And ride the red, if you've got the energy as it was designed - from the visitors centre. If you want to break it up, there's various ways to do sections, but then it's better to start at Dixons Hollow.

Anything else you want to know, just give us a shout.
    http://www.singletraction.org.uk
    Yorkshires MTB trailbuilders!
  • Q-Bix
    Q-Bix Posts: 26
    Very useful that thanks, RygelUK
  • Father Faff
    You can download a map - I think the adress is www.singletrackaction.co.uk or similar.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Father Faff
    Er, sorry, www.singletraction.org.uk and the post two up has the link!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Father Faff
    You need a map too because the signposting is atrocious. We arrived at Dixon's Hollow without a map and tried to find a noticeboard with a map on it but couldn't find one (is there one?). We asked a few people but no one had a map. Then someone said go down that green route and you'll find the red route which we did. However we then wanted to get back onto the green route and started following what looked like green arrows or white arrows on green backgrounds and ended up going in a huge circle and finding ourselves going down footpaths and all sorts. Eventually crossed a bit of red route we recognised that we know had an Orange escape route sign on it further along so managed to escape down that to the road and we knew where we were again. Now that I've got hold of a map at the Purple MTB shop near the main visitor centre we now know that there are different types of green arrow and not all relate to the Green Route! Confusing or what. A few map boards dotted about the trail might be a good idea too in case you do get lost. And believe me I am not in the habit og getting lost.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • HJ1976
    HJ1976 Posts: 205
    Also some indication of which way the routes are meant to be travelled copuld be good as I went the wrong way round last time and so there were no signs at all even though I was on the route!
  • The map is handy, but if start at the beginning of the red route and be aware of the signs you can make it around without one (but for 50p form the bike shop...), I enjoyed the fact that you didn't have to rely on it too heavily. Have fun and take plenty of water, ran out with a 1.5 litre camelbak, luckily with not too far to go.