new to this game

fluided
fluided Posts: 114
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Right I'm hoping I've come to the right place

I'm looking for a road bike budget £300.00 I know not to much I don't care if it's 05 and above can anyone recommend me some bikes and links. I have been looking at the giant ocr family. any help would be good as I don't have a clue when it comes to road bikes.

I'm 5.9 inside leg 32 so pointers on size would be good

cheers

Comments

• Jaeger
    Jaeger Posts: 439
    Have you looked at the Carrera range in Halfords? Not sure how good they are but seem to remember reading somewhere that they have full Shimano components.
  • The entry level OCR (can't remember the exact name) is one of the best budget road bikes.

Have a look out for secondhand bikes, you might be able to find something a bit older but will better components than the new budget machines. Your local bike shop would be a good start.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    What about the Boardman Bikes?
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • If you're not in too much of a hurry, and you can wait until the end of August, you will find that you might be able to get hold of a £400 bike at Evans for your £300. I'm sure that I did this a couple of years ago and got myself a nice Bianchi (albeit last year's model) for a good price.
    If you're not close to any Evans stores, try your LBS - if they are any good they will give you some good advice - just go with your gut feeling about whether they are being genuinely helpful or just trying to separate you from your cash. It's never a bad thing to start building relationships with your LBS anyway.
    Good luck, mate.
  • Do be a little wary too though when you go in. When I was buying my first road bike, I remember going to one store that was selling some of the Giant OCRs. There was one Giant bike within my budget, and one one road bike of another brand that I still have never heard of. When I asked the sales guy which one he recommended, he suggested the unknown brand. That's no big deal in itself, but when I asked him why he seemed stuck for words and couldn't give me a proper answer. I still suspect the unknown company was paying him commission to sell their bikes, though I don't know if that is common practice.

Which isn't to put you off, but as Johnny said, just follow your gut instinct.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,117
    If you're not in too much of a hurry, and you can wait until the end of August, you will find that you might be able to get hold of a £400 bike at Evans for your £300. I'm sure that I did this a couple of years ago and got myself a nice Bianchi (albeit last year's model) for a good price.
    If you're not close to any Evans stores, try your LBS - if they are any good they will give you some good advice - just go with your gut feeling about whether they are being genuinely helpful or just trying to separate you from your cash. It's never a bad thing to start building relationships with your LBS anyway.
    Good luck, mate.

So the end of August is the magic time at Evans'??? Excellent!!!! (They're round the corner) :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • warren7
    warren7 Posts: 16
    Ive got a giant scr 4 which are available for £304 from activesport if you phone em up. I think it's a great bike