Calf Cramp

LJBM
LJBM Posts: 2
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I keep on getting cramp in my calf whilst riding, I don't think it's down to dehydration as I can feel it starting after only a couple of miles. I had to stop (well actually I almost crashed!) after about 15 miles today to stretch.

Any Ideas? Could it be down to poor technique, bad set-up? I'm new to cycling so I really don't know, any help gratefully received!

Comments

• Jaeger
    Jaeger Posts: 439
    Maybe your saddle is too high, forcing you to stretch down too much at the base of the pedal stroke. This would make your calf's work harder than normal.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Could well be poor position on the bike - best way to check is to try and find a good local bike shop that offers a bike fitting service. This may well cost you, but will be well worth to get your setup as close to perfect as possible.

Failing that, you can probably find bike fitting info on the tinternet and can check your position yourself.

Regular stretching of your calves (and other major leg muscles such as quads, glutes and hamstrings) may help.
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Hi

Couple of thoughts:

Calf Cramp questions are very common here early in the season, so conditioning/overall CV fitness is certainly a factor, I used to suffer regularly on my early TT's and club runs, but as I have got fitter calf-cramp has become rare.

Also, do you tend to cycle "toe-down", I also did that and that keeps the calf muscle under tension constantly, thus more likely to cramp. Having the feet more horizontal to the ground should be better, the occasional bit of ankling may help to keep the muscle moving.

Once you feel a twinge, drop a few cogs and spin rather than grind.

Don't let your calf muscles get cold.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1