Slipping gears

2007-06-24
2007-06-24 Posts: 33
edited July 2007 in Workshop
I'm riding an old bike with frame mounted gear changers.

I've had the bike for a week.

My problem is that when in the 3rd of 6 gears on the rear mech (with 1st being the gear with most teeth, 6th being with fewest), after a few moments, the gear slips down into 4th. And again, sometimes it slips down into 5th.

The tension in the gear cable is sufficiently tight.

I have also fully tightened the screw holding the rear-gear changer into the frame. There is nothing more to tighten on it - won't tighten any more.

Yet the gears keep slipping. It's really annoying, especially on hills.

Any ideas what's causing it / how to fix it?

Thank you

Comments

• farrell
    farrell Posts: 1,323
    new chain and cassette?

probably worn out/stretched chain
  • It might not be a worn cassette and chain if the chain is skipping to different sprockets. My experience of a worn chain and cassette was just that the chain would skip but not change sprockets. I'd say it suggests that the rear derailleur isn't aligned properly. If there isn't enouugh adjustment left to increase the tension in the cable then run a new cable through and pull it tighter before clamping it onto the rear derailleur.
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • 2007-06-24
    Had a look at the rear mech today. It's firmly bolted to the drop-out, yet for some reason the whole unit feels quite loose, and there is a fair bit of lateral movement if I hold the body of the mech and wobble from side to side, and even more if I hold the bit with the jockey wheels on, and wobble that.

It's a long-arm rear mech in case that makes any difference.

Perhaps it's just that the rear mech is stuffed and needs replacing?
  • 2007-06-24
    Sorry - realised that the rear mech wasn't fully tightened onto the frame after all.
    It's fine now