Hyde Park corner

Porgy
Porgy Posts: 4,525
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
It's been a bugbear of mine for a while now. I cycle north from South London towards Baker Street. I travel via Hyde Park and at HPC I join the cycle lane which starts on a traffic island. It is a dual direction lane, and most people seem to be travelling north to south. I'm usually in a minority of one travelling the other way. What happens is that cyclists travelling north to south take up both lanes of the dual direction lane which means that I'm stuck in a heavily used lane of traffic with nowhere to go. When I try to turn left onto the lane I can't - blocked by cyclists. What's worse, no f.*.c.k.e.r. moves when I ask!!

Now come on - if this is you - surely the facilities are there to benefit all cyclists. If it was a one-off I wouldn;t mind so much - but this is nearly every time I travel that way in rush hour.

The other direction isn;t much better. what happened to the rule about keeping to the left? I usually have to slow down or stop with a deluge of cyclists massing towards me.

Is this a good advert for cycling? Why - just because I'm travelling against the flow of most bikes do I have to give way to other cyclists who appear not to understand fairly basic rules of the road.

If its you - then please be aware that cyclists are able to go in either direction on these cycle paths - give way to oncoming traffic - keep to the left. Don;t just ignore oncoming cyclists becasue you know they are outnumbered. Be considerate!

Comments

• busdodger
    busdodger Posts: 11
    Porgy wrote:
    It's been a bugbear of mine for a while now. I cycle north from South London towards Baker Street. I travel via Hyde Park and at HPC I join the cycle lane which starts on a traffic island. It is a dual direction lane, and most people seem to be travelling north to south. I'm usually in a minority of one travelling the other way. What happens is that cyclists travelling north to south take up both lanes of the dual direction lane which means that I'm stuck in a heavily used lane of traffic with nowhere to go. When I try to turn left onto the lane I can't - blocked by cyclists. What's worse, no f.*.c.k.e.r. moves when I ask!!

Now come on - if this is you - surely the facilities are there to benefit all cyclists. If it was a one-off I wouldn;t mind so much - but this is nearly every time I travel that way in rush hour.

The other direction isn;t much better. what happened to the rule about keeping to the left? I usually have to slow down or stop with a deluge of cyclists massing towards me.

Is this a good advert for cycling? Why - just because I'm travelling against the flow of most bikes do I have to give way to other cyclists who appear not to understand fairly basic rules of the road.

If its you - then please be aware that cyclists are able to go in either direction on these cycle paths - give way to oncoming traffic - keep to the left. Don;t just ignore oncoming cyclists becasue you know they are outnumbered. Be considerate!

HPC north to south direction in the morning , they're all trying to race to "amber" gamble the cycling/ped crossing for Constitution Hill. Must admit HPC is a bit of a free for all but it's not helped by the lack of path marking or signs. I keep to the left myself.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    make like a trailer park girl and go round the outside
    <a>road</a>
  • zimzum42
    zimzum42 Posts: 8,294
  • Totalnewbie
    Totalnewbie Posts: 932
    I think know the bit you mean. Similarly, I soon got sick of the toucan crossings there which were a free for all where no one seemed to understand the concept of staying to the left. So, despite the fact that I'm neither the fastest nor most confident cyclist I gathered up my courage and now just use the road on HPC.
  • Porgy
    I've got no problem using the road. And if I'm in a hurry I will.

I actually enjoy cycling through the park - it's very therapeutic.

As for going round the outside - that depends on the state of the lights. they were in my favour this morning, so I did.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Get an AirZound and toot them, if you want to go through the park. Otherwise I'd use park lane myself.
  • Porgy
    Porgy wrote:
    I've got no problem using the road. And if I'm in a hurry I will.

I actually enjoy cycling through the park - it's very therapeutic.

I like cycling through the park - last time someone wouldn;t move I pushed them out of the way.

I have a horn, and its very loud. But some people still manage to ignore it.