I've just bought this Trek 1000 - decent buy?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,775
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Bought this off ebay for my gf, what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• powenb
    powenb Posts: 296
    Great buy in my opinion.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks for the reply :D

I thought it was reasonable, seeing as they seem to retail for £500 new, and it has carbon forks, and a mostly reasonable groupset.

Going to pick it up tomorrow.

I had to make the call to confess to buying it for her, but she wasn't mad - phew :D

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • powenb
    powenb Posts: 296
    Too right.

I have just paid £300 for one of the Halfords Cerrar bikes to use as a workhorse.
    Comes with the same kit, but no carbon fork.
    Only thing with the Trek I find is the riding position is super aggressive. But easily sorted by flipping the the stem round.
    Good luck with it.
  • daniel_b
    Hiya,

yeh I noticed the Carrera's were on some decent offers at the mo, I'm sure yours will serve you well, never heard a bad word about them.

Yes i had noticed (someone here I think) said you can flip the stem round to make it a bit more relaxed, and she may well want that, so a useful feature to have :D

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I wouldn't have said a Trek 1000 is 'super agressive'.
    Perhaps compared to a hybrid or MTB, but as a race bike it's pretty user-friendly - it is the bottom of the Trek range, aimed at first timers, so that's how it's built.

It has a conventional - flat top tube - frame, not a compact and the fork geometry means the handling is stable rather than 'lively'.

The geometry and the fact it's not that stiff, together with carbon forks, carbon seatpost and 25 tyres rather than 23 mean it'll be more vibration-damping than a full-on race bike.

It'll have a big stack of spacers under the stem, and if you really need to you can reverse the stem to get the bars even higher.

But at that price it seems fine (assuming she fits a 52 of course !), so yes good buy.

It's even quite attractive in those colours, compared to the awful boring grey or lurid orange :x
  • daniel_b
    Hello!

Well we picked it up yesterday, and it appears to be absolutely mint :-)
    Gorgeous looking bike, much better looking than in the pics to be honest, not sure about the weight, somewhere around <10KG I reckon.

Size (52) is spot on too, though bizarrely the actual stand over height is little different to my 56cm Felt.....!

Anyway, we haven't managed to take it out properly yet, but will be doing so next weekend if not earlier.

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18