Mention of BitTorrent?

Big Red S
Big Red S Posts: 26,890
Er, where?

If someone mentions the non-legal use of anything else (jumping red lights?) am I supposed to lock that, too?

How about this? It mentions something that could be used for piracy, in much the same way as the BitTorrent thread did.

Comments

• Gavin Weeks
    Gavin Weeks Posts: 321
    There were mentions of illegal sites and links to them. Providing people with an outlet of getting illegal software/music/movies etc.

The fact the title was "bit torrents.. downloading music?" is reason enough to close it - as this is illegal. I kept and eye on the thread and it did push the boundaries of general bittorrent conversation.

As for the topic you mentioned I will be monitoring it, and if anything illegal is mentioned it will be closed. At the moment its simply listing a tool that can be used to convert file formats - which isn't illegal.

I'm on your side, but there are limits we have to stay dear to in order to prevent us from getting into trouble.

I hope you understand.
  • Big Red S
    There were mentions of illegal sites and links to them. Providing people with an outlet of getting illegal software/music/movies etc.
    There's one link in the thread. To http://www.portforward.com/
    The fact the title was "bit torrents.. downloading music?" is reason enough to close it - as this is illegal. I kept and eye on the thread and it did push the boundaries of general bittorrent conversation.
    So, like I say, if there's a topic called 'jumping red lights' is that reason enough to close it? It's more definitely illegal than downloading music is.
    As for the topic you mentioned I will be monitoring it, and if anything illegal is mentioned it will be closed. At the moment its simply listing a tool that can be used to convert file formats - which isn't illegal.
    This is a genuine question here:
    Presuming I have bought an album, and then lost it, since I have already acquired a license to own it, am I then allowed to download a copy of it? Fair use allows the creation of backups (which is the reason why you're not closing the DVD copying thread).
    I've not heard of a suitable precedent for this (it's easier to prosecute for sharing than acquiring), but I assume you have?
    I'm on your side, but there are limits we have to stay dear to in order to prevent us from getting into trouble.

I hope you understand.
    I understand that there are limits. I'm just confused as to where you've put them now.
  • Gavin Weeks
    There were a couple more links which I have removed (which is why you cant see them now, and why I closed it) and as you say portforward.com is a perfectly good site for router info.

You may be obliged to backup your cd's but there is no guarantee that the next person who reads the thread owns said CD. And we aren't that naive to allow people to get to torrent sites via bikeradar.com because someone wishes to "wink wink" backup their CD. I know the situation with illegal downloads and such. We have to draw the line.

Just keep an eye on threads and if they do get out of hand, from a legal perspective then they should be closed.

Regarding "Jumping Red Lights" no we wouldn't close that, and yes it is also an illegal action, however if someone were to post links to a site which had a list of all the Red Lights in the UK on which the camera's didn't work then thats a different story.

There is nothing wrong with talking about Bittorrent - There are issues when people are providing links to places for people to download illegal content.
  • Big Red S
    There were a couple more links which I have removed (which is why you cant see them now, and why I closed it) and as you say portforward.com is a perfectly good site for router info.
    Fair enough.
  • L60N
    L60N Posts: 223
    I was party to the aforementioned thread, i would like to state that i was merely explaining how to setup a static ip to increase download speeds. using portforward. I use steam which is a gaming app. and when you purchase a game it downloads to your PC (Counterstrike source, half life to name a few ive purchased) It was taking me over a week to get one game :( After following instructions on portforward i was able to download the game (4gig) in only an hour or so.

Im not trying to tell you whether or not you should close a thread, but merely stating im not advocating piracy in what i wrote either.

Leon
  • Gavin Weeks
    L60N : everything regarding the port forwarding was perfectly fine, the only reason I closed it was there were a few people who were posting links to torrent sites which is where I drew the line.

In fact a thread about port forwarding specifically would be very useful within the off-topic forum. :)