Ebay rip off artist!!

Jonathan Mcp
Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
edited July 2007 in The bottom bracket
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... L:RTQ:UK:1

The guy lists a cheap Ribble 7005 bike as titanium. I e-mail him with a numpty is ti better than aluminium question, and get a reply of "depends on what you like your ride like. its much the same to be fair".

Plus he says it cost £700, closer to £500 in reality. Knob.

Comments

• rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    Time for a report methinks.
  • alecstilleyedye
    alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170
    could be nicked. anyone had one stolen?
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    Look at his feedback as he's on the make. 62 golly has bought 6 out of 13 items and I wouldn't be surprised if he's bumping this bidding up.The only other buyer didn't get her goods.Stay well clear of this scammer.
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    26'' wheels too.... :?
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • Not convinced it's a scam. He only offers collection in person. So it more than likely exists, and he is in posession of it.
  • campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    could be nicked then :shock:
  • Steve Austin
    Steve Austin Posts: 1,803
    could be any number of things...

I know highlighting auctions on EBAY is dull.

there are millions of ebay ads that are factually incorrect, or worded slightly wrong. Should we start a thread about all of them?
    There is even a site dedicated to finding mispelt items, but it does not escape the fact it is dull.

move on, it really ain't worth any more airspace
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Steve, glad you feel that way. But highlighting such practices might be dull to you, a semi human man rebuilt from the brink of death, but to mere mortals (some of whom think ebay is a safe place to buy) then threads such as this can make people think twice about odd descriptions.#

The seller either thinks that he has a Ti frame, which I doubt, or knows it isn't and is trying to flog to an "ignorant" individual taken in by the description of titanium. In which case that is fraud I beleive.

Sorry to have wasted your time in replying to this post, now it is dull, lets move on and talk about superb 1970's programmes and the persistance of their charecters 30 years later.

:D (forgot the smiley)
  • Steve Austin
    Steve Austin Posts: 1,803
    Steve Austin is my real name :?

If you really are bothered about the ad, report it. its badly labelled, as its not ti. he knows this too.
    Or you could watch the auction and let the winner know its not ti, if you are feeling that community spirited.

Me? I'm gonna BBQ meat :twisted:
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Steve Austin is my real name :?

If you really are bothered about the ad, report it. its badly labelled, as its not ti. he knows this too.
    Or you could watch the auction and let the winner know its not ti, if you are feeling that community spirited.

Me? I'm gonna BBQ meat :twisted:

Never said it wasn't :) but the avatar certainly isn't you!!!!

Already reported it, gave the seller a chance to go oops, listed wrong, and he didn't.
  • AFAIK Ribble have never done a Ti frame so I would say he is a blatant bullshitter! Plus its built up with Mirage, last time I looked Ribble were selling them brand new for £399.
  • Rigid Raider
    Rigid Raider Posts: 1,568
    If you look at his other item for sale, the sofa, you can see the bike in one shot. Strikes me he's a non-cyclist who won the bike in a competition, never rode it, is now moving house and the new GF has told him to flog it.
    Global TH1.5 Ti hardtail.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    On 13-Jul-07 at 22:06:53 BST, seller added the following information:
    ally frame not titanium sorry 4 the mistake!!

The bike looks immaculate, as do the shoes in the picture - perhaps he's never actually ridden it, doesn't know any better.

Still says he paid £700 for it last year though - but it's not one of Ribble's Dedacciai fancy frames :x