Cat Eye comp question....

JST
JST Posts: 158
edited August 2007 in Workshop
When I first got the comp it did not realy register speed under 7mph but now it seems to have trouble with anything under 9 mph. I know not much time is spent at this speed but on some long steep hill it gets anoying that its stopped counting the miles.

Is this normal or is the unit faulty or could it just be low battteries??

Any ideas much appreciated :)

Also a big HELLO as this is my first post 8)

Comments

• Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Is it still recording sensible speeds and distances?
  • JST
    Yep anything above 9 ish mph and it's fine, which as I say is most of the time. All other functions work fine...
  • Big Red S
    Hm, odd.

The only thing I can think of is to replace the battery (or just reset it) and see if that solves anything.

If it was recording odd times, that would imply that the transmitter's not talking as often as it should, either through some fault of its own or the magnet being in an odd position. But since it seems to be fine over 9mph, i'd think that rules out error on the part of the transmitter (it is quite a dumb component).

If replacing the battery doesn't do anything, i'd consider taking it back to where you got it from. There's not a lot else you can do to them.
  • JST
    Yeah i'll try replacing the batteries and go from there.

So generally they should register the lower speeds then?

Thanks for your help.
  • Big Red S
    Yeah, mine registers speeds when I'm walking it.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Is it actually wireless? You don't say.

Not recording under 7/9mph is a fault, simple as. I have a ten year Cateye Mity 3 and it records well down to a walking pace and below.

Also have a wireless (Garmin Edge) and it is the same, records down to 1km/h and below no problem!
  • Red Panda
    Red Panda Posts: 269
    JST, Is your sensor close enough to the spoke magnet thingy?
  • Big Red S
    If it wasn't, I'd expect it to record abnormally low speeds and distances, as it thinks each wheel rev takes longer than it really does.
  • JST
    blorg wrote:
    Is it actually wireless? You don't say.

Not recording under 7/9mph is a fault, simple as. I have a ten year Cateye Mity 3 and it records well down to a walking pace and below.

Also have a wireless (Garmin Edge) and it is the same, records down to 1km/h and below no problem!

Yes it is wireless. If it is a fault I've probably left it a little long to take it back but if when I've changed the batteries it is no better i'll have a word with the supplier.
    Red Panda wrote:
    JST, Is your sensor close enough to the spoke magnet thingy?

Yes, I always check before a ride that it is in the correct position in relation to the sensor.

Thanks for your help guys, at least I know it is definately not right and should register low speeds. Hopefully I can sort it out one way or another... :)
  • JST
    Batteries Changed and is now working much better! I really didn't think it was the batteries as the display was not faded and was still picking up the signal from the sender although only at higher speeds. :?
  • Chirg
    Chirg Posts: 141
    Good to hear you got it sorted. I had a similar problem with a wireless micro and it was due to poor placement and the wheels flexing when going for it up hills (Xero XRS-3), local bike shop sorted it in 10 seconds flat! :oops: