Worth getting a road bike for commuting?

busdodger
busdodger Posts: 11
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
Currently have a three year old Ridgeback Meteor hybrid which I use for commuting 3-4 times a week for 20 mile round trip from Chiswick to Bank (sorry another London person :) ). Reasonably happy with it but would like something a bit faster as I average around 14mph although there's a lot of traffic lights on my route.

I was considering a road bike but would want one that:

* fix paniers to
* Could cope with commuting through winter
* Would be significantly faster

I'm looking to spend £500-700

Comments

• Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Might be worth looking at a commuting-CX or tourer bike? Little lighter and faster than your current bike, but still with rack and mudguard mounts.

Or a 'commuting' bike, like the Genesis Day series or Specialized Sirruses.
  • jonathan ellis
    jonathan ellis Posts: 3,870
    A single speed? (less effort cleaning it!)

Langster perhaps?
    <font size="1">ti</font id="size1"> <font size="1">steel</font id="size1">
  • busdodger
    A single speed? (less effort cleaning it!)

Langster perhaps?

Not single speed, I like having ratios...
  • cupofteacp
    cupofteacp Posts: 578
    I've thought about a road bike as well, but I don't like the idea of curly handle bar's :D

What tyres have you got on your current bike? could you try a smaller slicker tyres?

You say that your carring panniers, could you carry less weight?
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • busdodger
    cupofteacp wrote:
    I've thought about a road bike as well, but I don't like the idea of curly handle bar's :D

What tyres have you got on your current bike? could you try a smaller slicker tyres?

You say that your carring panniers, could you carry less weight?

Armadillos on the back wheel, Maxx something on the front. Paniers have my clothes for work basically (shoes, trousers, shirt). Curly bars are fine, in fact I see them as advantage.
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    I'd recommend a fast tourer or Audax bike. Not a heavy tourer, but something that'll take mudguards and has bosses/mounts for a pannier.

Glancing at the Evans (shock horror!) website: Ridgeback Horizon or Dawes Audax Sport are both in that price range.

They'd both make cracking commuting bikes (I occasionally use my Audax bike for Putney to Southbank when I don't ride my fixed commuter).
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • busdodger
    Greenbank wrote:
    I'd recommend a fast tourer or Audax bike. Not a heavy tourer, but something that'll take mudguards and has bosses/mounts for a pannier.

Glancing at the Evans (shock horror!) website: Ridgeback Horizon or Dawes Audax Sport are both in that price range.

They'd both make cracking commuting bikes (I occasionally use my Audax bike for Putney to Southbank when I don't ride my fixed commuter).

The Dawes Audax looks good. Is it lighter weight version of the Galaxy?

How much a speed difference would it make?
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    My average commuting speed went up by about 2mph when I went from a Gary Fisher Nirvana (no suspension MTB but with slick tyres) to an Audax type bike.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • cupofteacp
    cupofteacp Posts: 578
    Can't you leave your shoes at work?

I found they weighed the most, what size armossss 1.5 or larger
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • WyS
    WyS Posts: 254
    i got a mint 10 year old dawes ultra off ebay for £137 for my commute. so much quicker, and having never ridden a racer or used drop bars, the first few outings are a bit hairy.. but you soon get used to it.

now i keep my expensive mtb for the woods, and rag the dawes to work/pub etc.

But from a hybrid to road bike i dont think it will make as much of a difference as it did to me, cos my mtb was well heavy, and the dawes weighs nothing.
  • How about the specialized Allez
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    I have a Surosa winter trainer / commuter/ audax which is perfect for a commute. Apprx 28 miles each way about once a week on a (very) hilly route (thats enough!). Nippy enough for round town or club rides and I've even done the Etape du Dales on it (although it wa a sight easier this year on the regular racer).
  • mankymitts
    mankymitts Posts: 28
    Get something that will take a rack, your back will thank you for it.
  • Flycatcher
    Flycatcher Posts: 185
    Don't worry about drops. I had a dry weather racer that I only used to commute on infrequently but loved it so bought a Trek 1000 for £425 which does what you want and for the price it's great, would not ever go back to flat bars.
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    Don't get too fixated on the type of bike, find a bike shop with a good range of bikes and try out as many as you can until you find one that just feels right as soon as you ride down the road.
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    I got a Giant SCR road bike for commuting, its got mounts for full guards and panniers. The comfort frame suit my commuting use, im not racing I just want to get to and from work quicker and easier, and it certain does that better than my old hybrid :D.

There were some good offers on the bike I got the scr 1.0 for £600 rrp £850 dont know if the shops still have stock??
  • busdodger wrote:
    Currently have a three year old Ridgeback Meteor hybrid which I use for commuting 3-4 times a week for 20 mile round trip from Chiswick to Bank (sorry another London person :) ). Reasonably happy with it but would like something a bit faster as I average around 14mph although there's a lot of traffic lights on my route.

I was considering a road bike but would want one that:

* fix paniers to
    * Could cope with commuting through winter
    * Would be significantly faster

I'm looking to spend £500-700
    Go for a touring bike. I do a 25 mile round trip commute on a Dawes Super Galaxy, it's fast, smooth, silent and comfortable. It's got mudguards and a rack and a wide enough range of gears to get you up the steepest of hills easily. What more could you ask for?

"on your bike" Norman Tebbit.
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    I've been using road bikes for commuting for 15+ years. They're light, fast, manouverable and the handlebars are not as wide as mountain bikes. I tend to travel on main roads and lug as little stuff as possible tho' (ie keep a cople of pair of shoes at work etc...) :wink:
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • GrumpyBear
    GrumpyBear Posts: 45
    Yes! Get one. I sold my Spesh Crossroads last month and upgraded to a Tricross, faster, more manoeuvrable and fittings for guards and a rack.

I removed the rack after a week or so as it affected the handling too much and reverted to a rucksack which is the happy compromise. SKS guards have kept the summer weather at bay, there is some toe overlap but nothing to worry about. When I get brave I'll go clipless, but for the moment it's clips/straps.