London 2 Southend

overmars
overmars Posts: 430
Bretheren. Pray for good weather.
Or sacrifice a goat. :shock: (whatever works for you!)

A BHF event. Sunday 15th July. Victoria Park. Start times 0730 - 0915. 59 miles.

Should be fun. :D

Comments

• Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    I'll see you there! The weather forecast keeps changining. Yesterday said sunny all day, today says we may be in for a some rain at the start but should be ok later. BTW I'm no 308, say hi if you see me - I'll be the one struggling up the hills :D
  • The BIG GT
    The BIG GT Posts: 655
    Private 2535 (Mounted Brigade) reporting for parade, SIR!! :)

Start time at 0830hrs. :?

Riding with various members of old WMB forum who now visit here and the other side (see sig) so keep your eyes peeled and say 'Hi' if you see me (red, rigid, Diamondback Topanga MTB commuter).

Maybe a forum beer stop can be arranged en-route? :twisted:
    Now living happily at http://www.uk-mtb.com !!
  • Tony666
    Great, now the met office have issued a severe weather warning for Sunday:

The Met Office is forecasting further periods of heavy rain during the next few days. During Sunday, outbreaks of locally heavy and thundery rain are expected to move northwards across the UK and are likely to give some large totals - in excess of 25mm in many areas, and perhaps in excess of 50mm in a few parts. The rainfall is likely to be very intense rather than prolonged. Wales and western areas of England are currently greatest at risk on Sunday, extending to many northern parts later. Some transport disruption is possible.

Or at least light rain all the way: http://uk.weather.com/weather/hourbyhou ... begDay=196

Where's that goat gone!
  • The BIG GT
    The only good news weather-wise is that it will reach 20-22 degrees so at least being wet won't mean being cold!
  • Tony666
    and it now looks like it will be ok in Southend up until 3pm http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... ather.html
  • overmars
    I don't mind 'light rain'. The BBC says the same thing for tomorrow.

I did want to bring my helmet cam. But if its prolonged showers I may have to abandon that idea.
  • Tony666
    You might be ok as the forecast just got better - I thought I'd find a good use for that goat one day :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=3526
  • overmars
    Thanks! 8)
    Don't throw away the carcass! Get a big pot and boil up some Goat soup! :D
    :wink::wink:
  • Tony666
    Or maybe a curry with that beer stop - hang on, we'll neevr make Southend then :P
  • The BIG GT
    I also noticed that, for the first time in ages, the wind will be blowing from the East!

Just to make it that little bit extra exerting! :?
  • splattcp
    splattcp Posts: 27
    Well, we got away with it! Thunder/Lightning first thing in Southend with heavy rain...Dried out by the time we got here!!
    Managed a respectable time too!

:?: Does anyone know the web address for the finish line photos?? :?:
  • Tony666
    On the way to London the train went through a thunder storm and I thought "time to get the waterproof out". But no need. It was a really great ride in the end and I really enjoyed myself. But I should not have stopped for the cheeseburger in Hanningfield as t took me ages to get back up to speed again! The web address is http://www.functionphotography.com/mp_c ... ctures.asp and the password heartsfirstbike but they are not there yet.

How did anyone else do?
  • barnesd
    barnesd Posts: 40
    Had a good one, and was pleased with my time, thought the organisation was spot on, with good signs and key junctions marshalled, all credit to BHF!!

Glad the weather held.
  • Really nice ride.
    Like has been said, the worst of the weather I saw was from a train en-route to Stratford 8)
    Rounded off a weekend of charity rides for us, Essex Coast ride yesterday with L to S today.
  • overmars
    Rain? What rain? A fantastic day! :D
    The BIG GT wrote:
    I also noticed that, for the first time in ages, the wind will be blowing from the East!

Just to make it that little bit extra exerting! :?

It did make it more challenging!
    I got to Southend in 3hrs 34mins. Average speed 15.4 mph. Total distance 55 miles? My computer should read 59miles!! (Ruddy Garmin GPS!! :wink: ) So my average speed is a little faster.
    Anyway... very happy with the ride and all the fun loving people on it. :D

Thanks to Tony for offering up a goat. :D The weather was beautiful. 8)
  • barnesd
    Overmars

I had 55miles on my Garmin too, so maybe the course was a bit shorter than advertised??
  • overmars
    Yes, I think you're right.

I do notice that when passing under trees the average speed gives off different readings. But it seems to be accurate.

It could have been shorter! I'm looking at the course on my Garmin and there's a loop that wasn't on the ride map. Unless it was just me getting lost! :?
  • barnesd
    I missed a left turn after the 3rd feed station which resulted in me going round a bit of a loop!!
  • overmars
    This loop was around the 30 mile mark and on the Garmin kind of looks like the outline of a snowman without a head*
    :shock:

*Spot on scientific descriptions provided by Overmars 8)
  • barnesd
    I went off track around 37 miles

http://tinyurl.com/28tumv
  • GT-Dave
    GT-Dave Posts: 1,441
    Cracking ride, my GPS (non-garmin unit) pinned it down as 55.9 miles.
    4 hours 36 minutes riding time for me, on my GT with 2.1 tyres on! ;)
  • The BIG GT
    Dave,
    You were right about Ninja! :wink: :twisted:

I thought that the first section out through London was very well marshalled and signposted but the traffic and lights, etc. kept the average speed right down, although this may have been better for those setting off earlier than our 8:30am start?

I was reasonably happy with my time considering I had to hold back a bit for the old fellow who was riding with me ( :shock: ) to keep up! We probably stopped for a fair bit longer than I would have done on my own and, in hindsight, a 1-stop rather than 2-stop strategy would have sufficed.

My computer measured it at 58.91 miles so maybe your new-fangled 'GSP' thingy-majigs were not able to deal with the unusual atmospheric conditions (clear skies and a bright, yellow thing call the 'sun')? :lol:

I averaged just under 14 mph (13.87) with a ride time of 4:14:52 and a max of 33mph on my rigid MTB with 1.5" commuting slicks on, which helped lug the huge backpack, bike locks, light fittings and mudguards around without too much penalty.

Only bit that really bothered me was the pain in my donkey for the last 10 miles, finishing the ride sitting on what must have looked like the Japanese flag... :(

The organisation was top-notch, route-side fuel stops were reasonably priced, free water handed out on route, very clear signs and an enthusiastic, smiling and supportive set of marshalls to boot, who were encouraging everyone at the junctions!

It was a shame that the massage tent was so full though :wink:

Fellow riders were friendly and I saw very few incidents of crashes or mechanicals other than the odd pucture.

There was one spectacular stack at the 20-mile stop (pub with cricket green opposite) when a roadie decided that the green looked very inviting and that he would join the throng basking in the sunshine. He pulled off the road to the right and went flying through the air into a heap next to the bike. :twisted:
    He then got up (unhurt, apart from pride) to find that the grass 'verge' was in fact an overgrown ditch about 18" deep! He did take it very well though, I'll give him that!

Would definately do it again and has given me the bug to get out on the country lanes more often.. I've even pondered getting a roadie too, as I still have the frame I used when I was about 16 sitting at my Dad's...Hmmmmmm.

Not sure the garage (or the missus or the landlady) could handle 'another bike!' in there, with my three, the GF's and spare frames, etc. I think that may be pushing it. I'd love to see how quickly I could do it on a proper, lightweight road bike, though... :wink:

Summary: great day, good company, perfect weather, lovely countryside, very sore @r$e!!
  • Tony666
    The loop might have been Hanningfield reservoir which was around the 30 mile mark and we did loop round that. And GT, I think that is a pretty good summary of the day and glad you found out that us roadies aren’t that bad after all :D

I am seriously thinking doing the London to Paris next year.
  • GT-Dave
    GT-Dave Posts: 1,441
    The 'loopy bit was indeed Hanningfield:

54dpi0p.jpg

Halfway round the reservoir Clocked up as approx 5 miles. That's a big ass reservoir!! :shock:

The 'Roadies' were fine! Infact, everybody was fine, a very cheery crowd :D
    I liked the secret little codes you have, notifying eachother of approaching potholes / detrius on the roads!
  • Did any of you bother to cycle back?

On this one when I last did it and the Cambridge as well as Brighton I tended to ride back giving me in over a ton on miles. :evil:
  • The BIG GT
    One a rigid steel mountain bike!? :shock:

I think not... :roll:
  • Clefty
    Clefty Posts: 9
    First time for me this year, and really enjoyed it, much more chilled than Brighton, easier getting up hills as well as there weren't so many people.
    Loved the free massage at the end as well :-D
    I've stuck my GPS route on Bikely if anyones interested.
  • Tony666
    Yes indeed - can you post the link to it please.

And the start and finish photos are now online although they aren't cheap!
  • Clefty
    Clefty Posts: 9
    Yeh i thought they were bloody expensive, more so than the Brighton ones. My finish photo didnt even come out, I just had the embarrassment of some git taking a photo of me while I had a rub down afterwards from a nice young man in the massage tent.