Triathlons....dead keen now.
Problem is I ride an old and trusty Colnago with
a campag triple. I am a big bloke..92kg and the
fanny cog allows me to spin up hills...sorry about
this.
I plan on buying a Tri-Bike...such is my new found
interest in Triathlons...
Question...Is there a Tri-Bike available with bar end
shifters that I can buy with a triple gear set....???

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I would doubt it - what about swapping the chainset for a compact i.e. 50/34? - This would probably give you the same range of gears with an 11-25 chainset and mean you wouldn't have to change the BB and front mech.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    If you're going with a road bike "tri'd up" with bars and an adjusted position, triples are dead common. Do Wimbleball and you'll know why :) But the pure tri bikes all seem to be doubles - I think they assume you're putting down the power!
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • craiguk
    craiguk Posts: 39
    I've never taken part in a Tri event so appologies if I'm off the mark here. As far as I'm aware most Tri courses are fairly flat like the majority of time trial courses hence the bikes are designed with gearing which is close ratio for a flat course. With this in mind I don't think you will find an off the shelf triple, I personally don't see why you would need one for TT or Tri courses unless you intend training on it over hilly terrain. If you must have a triple then try going down the custom route or buy a double and fit a compact chainset.
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    depends on your ability and the course. If it's a flat course (or mostly flat) then a double is fine, but Ironman UK, is tough, and a triple comes in handy (or could do), but if you are riding a lumpy tri or TT course then a conventional road bike with tri bars would be better. Flat courses are for TT/Tri specific bikes.

Only the serious pros use proper TRI/TT bikes for hilly Tri courses, but then they have the power, and the money.

A normal road bike, with Tri bars and some aero wheels will be more effective and you will be able to use it for normal riding as well, in which case go for a triple, and if you don't use the granny ring, nothing lost, but there if you need it one day.