Back seat drivers.

neillcp
neillcp Posts: 30
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
A friend of mine gave me a lift back to London from Portsmouth at the weekend, and on the way back he stopped right on top of every single ASL box every time we were waiting at the lights. It really annoyed me and I wanted to tell him to stop doing it but held back seeing as he was good enough to drive me all the way home.

Whilst you're in the car with them, do any of you tell your friends/family who are driving to watch out for cyclists, or even more daring tell a taxi driver that you're a cyclist when you're sitting in the back of his cab??

Comments

• Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    I'd have said something along the lines of:

"You do realise that you're supposed to stop at the first white line before that box. You might want to read the highway code again (it's probably changed since you passed your test), as the police can give you a fixed penalty notice (fine and points) as, technically, you're jumping the red light."
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    wee in her shoes!
  • Number14
    Number14 Posts: 3
    Greenbank wrote:
    I'd have said something along the lines of:

"You do realise that you're supposed to stop at the first white line before that box. You might want to read the highway code again (it's probably changed since you passed your test), as the police can give you a fixed penalty notice (fine and points) as, technically, you're jumping the red light."

And the driver would have said:

"You see that little handle on the inside of the door? if you gently pull it and then push the door, it will give you enough space to swing your legs to the side and allow you to stand up. Please close the door as you leave".
    "Buy a heart rate monitor and see how efficiently you're wasting your energy".
  • jamesAC
    jamesAC Posts: 117
    neillcp wrote:
    A friend of mine gave me a lift back to London from Portsmouth at the weekend, and on the way back he stopped right on top of every single ASL box every time we were waiting at the lights. It really annoyed me and I wanted to tell him to stop doing it but held back seeing as he was good enough to drive me all the way home.

Whilst you're in the car with them, do any of you tell your friends/family who are driving to watch out for cyclists, or even more daring tell a taxi driver that you're a cyclist when you're sitting in the back of his cab??

I really do think that many drivers don't actually know what an ASL is for. It seems they think that if there is already a bike in it, they shouldn't enter it; but if it's empty, it's ok. I think a national educational campaign is needed.

Cheers!
    Why did Noddy pay the ransom? - Because the elephants have got big ears!

jamesAC
  • I think a national education is needed for a lot of things cycling related -

1. We are allowed on the roads.
    2. We don't have to be in the gutter.
    3. When we signal right don't overtake us.
    4. Don't turn left in front of us.
    5. Don't turn left in front of us.
    6. Don't turn left in front of us.
    7. Don't turn left in front of us.
    8. Don't turn left in front of us.
    9. Don't turn left in front of us.
    10. Don't turn left in front of us.
    **All I\'m trying to do is get to work**
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    3-7 could be replaced by look before you swing open your door, since that causes the most KSIs in London.