What shorts do you wear on your commute?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
Do you wear baggy shorts or not? Does it depend on the length of your commute?

Comments

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Bibshorts here, usually Endura.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Bib shorts. Comfy, but not aesthetically pleasing for other road users.
  • Ghost Donkey
    Ghost Donkey Posts: 914
    I wear baggy enduras in the summer. It's only a six mile round trip :( . Saying that my last job was nine miles each way and I wore the same baggy shorts in the summer and bib tights in the winter. I just had to leg it across to the showers pretty sharpish if I wasn't on the early shift when the university campus I worked on got busy. :oops:
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Cut off DPM shorts. Always have.

For some reason, if I'm commuting I make no nod towards bike specific clothing. But if I'm going for a ride shorter than my commute, I do...
  • Gore bike shorts I bought from Evans which also had lycra shorts inside which could be removed and which I don't wear at the moment
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    Gore bike shorts I bought from Evans which also had lycra shorts inside which could be removed and which I don't wear at the moment

I got the older version of those where the cycling short inners aren't removable. I much prefer these to the new ones.

If I'm not wearing them then I wear a pair of lycra shorts with another pair of baggy shorts on top.

Not a fan of lycra shorts on their own.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • I was self aware when I used to wear the old cycling shorts but i prefer wearing very light clothing in case it rains as they tend to be easier to dry at work. :wink:
  • cyclone
    cyclone Posts: 181
    I just wear my shirt and trousers on the way to work and take it easy so I don't get too sweaty.

Don't have showers at work so no point in changing.

Just wear waterproofs when it's pi$$ing down.
    I used to be undecided but now I\'m not so sure!?

My Spesh
    BMBC
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    Have showers at work so it's not a problem.

I also keep a complete set of spare cycling kit (shorts, socks, t-shirt) at work just in case I get soaked on the way in and my kit doesn't dry in time for going home.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • cyclone
    :D I do the opposite. :D

I keep a full set of work clothes in my desk in case I get soaked.

My Spesh
    BMBC
  • Waterproofs are no good to me as I tend to sweat too much.
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    Endura proper tight shorts, £40 odd

no problem wearing bike gear, I've got lovely legs and they're getting lovelier by the day, got a proper cycling shirt a month back for my rapidly thinning torso and that's brill, got real cycling cut away gloves too now and liking them plenty, just a modern hat to go for the full look

wearing an ancient old yellow pudding bowl helmet at the mo which does rather lessen the professional cyclist look

that and the clothes in an old plastic bag on the rusty old rack
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    I wear bibs. Or the Rapha fixed shorts (which are waterproof). The baggy shorts never worked for me.
  • cyclone
    I wear baggy'ish shorts when out riding properly but then again I'm an off-roader so need a bit more wind up there to keep things cool.

On road you have the advantage of higher air-flow.

My Spesh
    BMBC
  • Wolf04
    Wolf04 Posts: 51
    Adidas Lycra here, I'm only glad I don't have to ride behind me!!!! :lol:
    They told me to take up cycling, they said I\'d save money. They lied
  • malky54704
    malky54704 Posts: 178
    Got to be lycra shorts but at 45 years...Still I don't have to watch me go by!
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    Lycra shorts, I did wear baggies for a while but I find Lycra more comfortable. The first time the director of science saw me wearing them her jaw dropped, priceless...
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    For commute, if the weather is conducive (ie: not too hot so I get sweaty, and not raining) I wear my work stuff, as I now only have a really short ride.

If not, I wear Kathmandu Cruz shorts (bought when they were 50% off)
    http://www.kathmandu.com.au/typo3conf/ext/kathmandu_smarty/pi1/route.php?r=print&item=-1457689251

I had some other baggies, but they didn't have enough external pockets. These shorts are great.

For road bike training/riding, I wear full lycra.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Rapha Fixed shorts for me. Best (only?) compromise out there between lycra and MTB shorts. Upsides, very comfortable, bike specific, showerproof, and inconspicuous when you're off the bike. Downsides, bit fakenger and not cheap.
  • WyS
    WyS Posts: 254
    lycra should be banned, unless you are female with a nice arsé.
  • cyclone
    I'll second that.

Although I do have a Cannondale Lycra/Spandex long-sleeved base layer but that doesn't really coun't.

But yeah. Defo ban tight shorts on guys. It just looks F'ing nasty.

My Spesh
    BMBC
  • Max Weber
    Max Weber Posts: 183
    Commute's only 4 1/2 miles so wear football shorts (tracksuit bottoms in the winter). Keeps the lycra fresh for evenings and weekends!
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    WyS wrote:
    lycra should be banned, unless you are female with a nice arsé.

Any well toned arse in lycra is worth looking at!!!
  • cyclone
    It's not the rear that bothers me.

It's the bulge at the front that shouldn't be on show.

I bet you all wear speedo's on the beach as well.

Urrrgh :?

My Spesh
    BMBC
  • PrettyBoyTim
    PrettyBoyTim Posts: 163
    I have no problem with people wearing lycra so long as it is fully opaque.

I have cycled behind a fellah in lycra before and his shorts were partially see-through, possibly as a result of the stretching that occurred as he was bent forward over his bike.

I wouldn't have normally made such an effort to overtake him, but I just didn't want to suffer his plainly visible arsë crack any longer...
  • wai
    wai Posts: 36
    I find the dhb shorts from wiggle to be v good. I wear a thin pair of baggies over them when I take the train to work (reverse commute from London to Gerrards Cross).

Just the dhb's when I cycle the 20miles home.

Plan on doing a trainless commute when I can get up early enough :-)

I also have a pair of dhb bibs just to see what they're like. Unfortunately they must be a bit small as I find them less comfortable than the shorts.
  • cupofteacp
    cupofteacp Posts: 578
    Endura M60 shorts, cycle top during the summer and diadorra chillies
    Decatalon bib and various jackets tops during the winter oh and Shimano boots

Basically thick lycra, I used to take the kids to school on a Friday and I didn't care

If I didn't cycle far I probaly go for less roadie stuff, but with 15 miles it makes a diference of speed and comfort.

In addition cycle stuff dries quicker, I therefore get to cycle home in dry cloths even if its been raining.
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i just cycle in normal nylon shorts nike football shorts or tracksuit bottoms if cold

travel six mile each way.
  • Sorry to buck any trends, but I wear jeans on my 25 mile round trip commute. I find them very comfortable. Just to upset the fashion concious even more, I also use bicycle clips!

"on your bike" Norman Tebbit.
  • beanzontoast
    beanzontoast Posts: 1,457
    Lycra.

(To the van driver at the traffic lights who commented to me "You wouldn't catch me wearing them mate!" I replied "Well, you haven't exactly got the a**e for it, have you?").

:D

Edited by beanzontoast looking ever so carefully for mistakes