Where to go from Richmond Park (starting by train probably)

PainintheUK
PainintheUK Posts: 505
We moved to just outside Richmond Park a couple of months ago. I finally have my head above water and might get to ride this weekend! Where would people suggest to go, given that we want to do no riding on city roads. I really know nothing about the Southeast to help pick a destination.

We want to take a train (leaving from Kingston or Richmond?), get off and have a nice 50-60km ride in the country. At the same time we don't want to spend all our time on a train :).

Thanks,

Dr. PITUK
<i>Pain is temporary, Quitting is forever</i>

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Do you need to catch a train? If not, and riding out is an option, you could take a trip out to and around the Surrey hills through the lanes in Cobham and Ockham. There are some routes on the Kingston Wheelers' website - www.kingstonwheelers.com

To get further south by train, you may have to go back into Clapham or Wimbledon and then take a train back out

Judging by the coverage of Stage 1 of the TdF, Kent has some lovely country roads, but that's a bit of a trek by train.

I don't know the roads in West Sussex or Hants I'm afraid. .
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • laurencecp
    laurencecp Posts: 3,866
    ride to surbiton. train to guildford. play in the north downs and ride to home.

or, ride to raynes park - train to dorking or boxhill.
    <font>"When the earth is ripe all the worms wake up, with their stars \'n\' stripes and their swastikas"
    "I may not go to heaven, i hope you go to hell" </font>
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    Agreed , no need to take the train.

Somebody posted a link to this site a couple of months ago.

http://www.serpentine.org.uk/cycleroutes/02a/index.php

I have done this route (more or less) a couple of times recently , starting in Kingston , and it's turned out to be exactly 50 miles on both occasions. (partly due to my bad navigation)

Most of the roads are B roads

Snake
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • floatman
    floatman Posts: 28
    if you tootle along to Twickenham Green for 9:30 on Sunday morning - you will find a gaggle of friendly riders from twickenham cycling club who will be going for their sunday club run - usually three groups of varying speeds for between 60 - 80 miles with a tea stop half way - rides are social and nobody gets "dropped"
  • PainintheUK
    PainintheUK Posts: 505
    Thanks for the replies. We might try one of the rides direct from home on a Sunday. My wife REALLY doesn't want to ride with ANY traffic at all, so I'm not sure that it will work, but it definitely gives us some ideas.

Dr. PITUK
    <i>Pain is temporary, Quitting is forever</i>