Campsie road name question.

Noodley
Noodley Posts: 1,725
What's the name of the road heading out of Lennoxtown over to Fintry? I drove it the other day having picked up my new bike from Wheelcraft and it seems like a good climb. It must be well known and have a name but I can't find it. In fact there were a few decent looking climbs from both directions between Stirling and Lennoxtown. I may have to have an explore.

Thanks.

Comments

• arranandy
    arranandy Posts: 688
    That'll be the the Crow Road, Noodley. Cracking climb!!
    Flying Scot? You must be joking!
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Yeah, it's the Crow Road and one of my favourite hills. Although the other side, coming from Fintry, is tougher esp. the bottom - even with a triple!

When I go to visit my parents in Fife that's the road I usually take. It makes for a cracking, if challenging, day out.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Earthbound
    Earthbound Posts: 109
    I reckon the Crow Road is tougher from the Lonnoxtown, it's shorter but steeper, the north side is more a steady grind apart from the steep bank at the bottom.

Now what you really want is the Tak-Me-Doon from Kilsyth over to Carron Bridge. A burning lung thigh buster!!! Loop round the back by the reservoir then over the Crow Road.

And repeat.....
  • Crapaud
    Earthbound wrote:
    I reckon the Crow Road is tougher from the Lonnoxtown, it's shorter but steeper, the north side is more a steady grind apart from the steep bank at the bottom.

[scratches head] Hmm...damn you - now I'm going to have to go and check.
    Earthbound wrote:
    Now what you really want is the Tak-Me-Doon from Kilsyth over to Carron Bridge. A burning lung thigh buster!!! Loop round the back by the reservoir then over the Crow Road.

And get my maps out! :D
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Ahh the Crow Road and the Tak me Doon. Nice climbs and there is another climb around there from Fintry up to the 4 trnansmitters - Easton or something like that.
    Brian B.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Thanks, I had heard of the Crow Road but did not realise this was it.
  • fraz167
    fraz167 Posts: 142
    I am going to be around that area Sat and Sun morning, as visiting the in-laws in Bonnybridge.

Anyone fancy a meet up for one of these loops?

CHeers

Fraser
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    I was up the Crow Rd from Glasgow last night for a cycle, it works out 30miles to the car park on the Crow Rd and back to Glasgow for me, 50miles if I take in the Tak as well and do a loop.

Its a great ride, its meant to be nice this Sunday so I'll do the 50miles loop if all is well.
  • Crapaud
    fraz167 wrote:
    I am going to be around that area Sat and Sun morning, as visiting the in-laws in Bonnybridge.

Anyone fancy a meet up for one of these loops?
    I'm up for it as long as it's not too early - I usually work into the wee small hours. Where do you want to meet up - I'd be coming from the south side of Glasgow (15 miles to Lennoxtown).
  • Crapaud
    Brian B wrote:
    Ahh the Crow Road and the Tak me Doon. Nice climbs and there is another climb around there from Fintry up to the 4 trnansmitters - Easton or something like that.
    I've just been looking at the map. I don't see any thing at Easton, but there's a minor road that splits off north at Todholes and goes up towards some transmitters at Earl's Hill. Looks like a 'scenic' add-on. Is this what you mean?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Crapaud wrote:
    Brian B wrote:
    I've just been looking at the map. I don't see any thing at Easton, but there's a minor road that splits off north at Todholes and goes up towards some transmitters at Earl's Hill. Looks like a 'scenic' add-on. Is this what you mean?

I think what my brothers talking about is Easter Cringate or something...from Fintry its a 350meters climbs..real nice but the road surface is crud at the top..it drops you from Fintry down to Cambusbarron...OR turn right and head across North Third Resevoir to Tak Ma Doon and drop into Kilsyth(sp)
  • Crapaud
    Thanks RICHYBOYcp
    Yip, Easter Cringate. That's what I thought. I'll maybe give it a go during the week if the weather's OK. Ta.
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    Think I might know of that road, maybe someone can map it?

I did a loop round the Campsies this afternoon best day of the year up there nice and sunny, I spoke to a guy that slipped at the ford on the Tak-Me-Doon heading to Carron Bridge its very slippy.

Then going over it myself I nearly went and would have if I didnt clip out before I got to it, so take care best to get off and walk over thats what I will be doing from now.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    WetRoads.co.uk only rate it as 1*
    Carron Bridge
    NS739822 (1*) Suitable for All
    Sent in by John Page (15/04/2003)

'About 2 inches of water at bottom of dip, cobbled bottom.'
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Crapaud
    daowned wrote:
    Think I might know of that road, maybe someone can map it?
    I've just been rooting around in the 'routes' section and found it here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/routes/?bpath=maps%2Fbike-path%2FGlasgow-Tak-ma-Doon-Road-Earl-s-Hill-Crow-Road
    The route profile's, erm....interesting.