Why are my shoulders cramping!?

gtwanabee
gtwanabee Posts: 13
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Hi,

Just getting used to roadride in the aero position, elbows bent etc.

After 14 miles, my shoulders are burning and stiff that its agony to move them.

I know I'm still getting used to it but will it go away due beginner weak shoulder muscles?

My saddles seem correct height though I may lower it slightly.

I can easily reach the bars from moving my saddle forward and still keeping in toe-pedal line.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Been doing pressups/bench presses to strengthen them and so it was as bad as I first started a week ago.

Help! scared off the pain for 2morrows ride.

I don't have any probs on mtb bike-due to being upright only the roadbike.

Cheers! :lol:
Keep Smiing

Comments

• overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    Hi
    It's definetely your position on the bike. You do change it, right? That's the good thing about a road bike you can vary things thereby relieving stress.

Were you measured for your bike? If not you should.

Sorry for the short answer, I'm off to the GP!
  • campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    Hi as overmars say's its a position thing heres a little link that might help you,once you find a comfortable posistion make a note of the measurements for a start point for future use.Even the top pro's make adjustments but do it gradually.
    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

http://www.cptips.com/toc.htm#append
    the 2nd one answers loads of questions you may have :wink:
  • caissad
    caissad Posts: 59
    Even the top pro's make adjustments but do it gradually

Perhaps they should go to Paul Hewitt for a fitting...they wouldn't need to make any adjustments then!!
  • gtwanabee
    Hi, Thanks for the replies.

I have adjusted my bike quite a bit from a shorter stem and SMP strike saddle for anti numb plumbs!

I never got it on my old saddle so Ihave adjusted the tilt to be horizontal and but will check the saddle height as I think it is slightly higher.

Maybe weak shoulders?
    Keep Smiing
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Two cliches for you:
    "Rome wasn't built in a day", "You are what you eat".

Give it time and remember to take plenty of rest, don't exercise hard if you still aching from the day before, there's no point. Eat lots of protein and carbs, especially the protein when you are really making changes to your body. Consider some kind of protein supplement to speed things up considerably.
    ________
    CHEVROLET BERETTA SPECIFICATIONS
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Move saddle back a tad.
    Get better balanced on the bike so that your weight is not on your arms, then less stress on shoulders, you should be able to ride with your finger-tips only on the bars. If needs be then shorten stem, raise/rotate bars to get the bars to meet you, not you meeting the bars.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • gtwanabee
    Thanks for nutrition and rest advice-one of my key beliefs!

I have just been reading the links from above and agree with everyone is saying, I think my saddle to close and hence putting more weight on the shoulders.

I had moved it closer as I was have difficulties stretching and getting sore on the saddle from being unflexible and rotating my shoulders.

Thanks for everyones help-really appreciated and I hope it stops raining so I can test it out.

Thanks again Everyone :D
    Keep Smiing
  • gtwanabee
    Had a ride today with the seat back a bit and horizontal and after ten miles the pain started but not as bad.

14 miles stage and I had to stop (avrg 22mph).

Flipped my stem over so its now straight instead of angled up.

Tempted to fit my old 120 c-c stem instead the 90mm.

Strangley my writing shoulder hurt more.

Will keep a log and think its a case of riding position and lack endurance in the shoulders from too much too soon.

Like the above said, Rome wasn't built in a day. Thanks for the advice and links everyone :lol:
    Keep Smiing