Non register visitors

nicklouse
nicklouse Posts: 50,675
Admin a loop hole i would like you to look at and see if it is possible to close.

try this. log out click on someones name to go to the profile click on e-mail.

nice for all the 419ers and other scamers. should this be only possible for registered members?

well they do not really need to do that as it can be done from any post!
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Comments

• Nice.I'll try my one as well. :shock:

ooops my email is disabled. :oops:

I thought it was best to disable it as I dont want yet more spam. :evil:
  • speshcp
    speshcp Posts: 3,746
    nicklouse wrote:
    Admin a loop hole i would like you to look at and see if it is possible to close.

try this. log out click on someones name to go to the profile click on e-mail.

nice for all the 419ers and other scamers. should this be only possible for registered members?

well they do not really need to do that as it can be done from any post!

First thing I did once this forum went live was to change my profile settings. :wink:

Admin, can the default setting for "Always show my e-mail address:" be changed to "no" please?
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
  • nicklouse
    speshcp, that is not my concern. i have no problems with members having access to my mail account.

what i do find odd is that anyone can visit this site and aquire my mail address.

at least on the old forums you had to register first and even then you had to send a mail and get a response to aquire a mail addy.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • speshcp
    Ah... we might have been at cross purposes.

I just thought I'd check another forum that I post on, and I've noticed that it's set up so that you have to be logged in before you can even see the PM, email and other communications links.

Was that what you had in mind?
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
  • nicklouse
    100%
  • speshcp
    No problemo. :)
  • nicklouse
    just had a look and i just thought i would bring this back up.
  • Samoth
    Samoth Posts: 6
    I've looked into this a bit more. There is a problem with this, but it's only affecting accounts that have been created since the site launched, rather than those which were imported.

New accounts are having their "Always Show Email" profile setting defaulted to 'Yes'. We're going to change that to 'No', but it will take a little while for us to deploy the change.

Imported accounts defaulted to 'No' for this setting.

At present, if it's set to 'Yes', it shows it to everyone, including unregistered 'guest' readers. This is why we'd like to default it to 'No', and will probably also force everyone's setting to 'No' and let people reset after if they want to.

In the slightly longer term, we're liable to implement things as you've suggested, so that even if you set it to 'Yes', we'll only display it to other registered, logged in users.

Apologies for the inconvenience, teething problems abound...

Sam.