New chain and cassette skipping

Curb Dog
Curb Dog Posts: 37
edited July 2007 in Workshop
Just had a new chain and cassette fitted. Seems fine from 23t - 17t, but starts skipping about when I change up any more. Also seems worse on the big ring when I want to put power down.

It's a Shimano groupset. The old cassette was a 13t -26t, which has been replaced with a 12t - 23t. The new chain's an Sram which I assume is compatible as the work was done at an established LBS (they seem to know their stuff).

Was wondering if the new chain's a little stiff and simply needs time to loosen up.

Any ideas before I resort to taking it back?

Comments

• nun
    nun Posts: 434
    Try a bit of lube between the cable and the bottom bracket, friction at that point can cuase skipping
  • I had a similar problem earlier this year-turned out to be worn chain rings-see if you can pull the chain away from the teeth on chain rings,if you can see too much of the teeth they're worn-this means new rings or chainset. :roll:
  • meenaghman
    meenaghman Posts: 345
    There was a topic on the old forum about SRAM chains and I seem to remember one having to mount either the chain or the link in a certain manner otherwise it could skip. Sorry I cant post a URL but the search mechanism seems not to work very well. I'd check any documentation with the chain reference this.
  • ghostynlr
    ghostynlr Posts: 61
    Some companies like Shimano and SRAM say you have to use their 'special' pins to rejoin their chains! In all my 8 years working in a LBS in Belfast i never once used their pins to rejoin their chains. Sounds very much like your gears haven't been set properly, but it's hard to tell any problem when you can't actually get your hands on the bike in question. :?
    I love cabbage and bacon.