Getting Better on here

campagchris
campagchris Posts: 773
edited July 2007 in The bottom bracket
Its certainly improving day by day on here,loads of good reading,have you seen the picture on the home page of the 2 riders on the cliff edge :shock:

Once we get used to the many categories it will be fine I think.

Comments

• shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I agree. It's a shame so many people gave up on the site so quickly. No staying power!

That cliff path is in the Alps I think, built for troop movements IIRC????
  • speshcp
    speshcp Posts: 3,746
    edited July 2007
    shazzz wrote:
    I agree. It's a shame so many people gave up on the site so quickly. No staying power!

That cliff path picture?

I think that was taken during a vist to Eire by Hans Rey, trials rider extraordinaire.

EDIT: Found the website, includes video footage!

Clicky

Scroll down to "Hans' & Peaty's Irish Pub Crawl"
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
  • david 142
    david 142 Posts: 227
    If this is the associated video then its a bit closer to home than that :lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJEO89j8XsQ

Errm, perhaps I ought to declare finding ithisvia the CTC site - Just in case anyone was wondering!

I'm experiencing severe issues with my ISP right now, but even so I can tell that this new site runs faster. Cant be all bad!

OK
    So I type as slow as I ride - so? :lol:
  • Is that picture for real? I mean it could be faked, couldn't it?

I wouldn't even walk along that path. They must be nuts.
  • B Chapman
    B Chapman Posts: 4
    you should see the hi-res version!
  • shazzz
    Ooooh, had never seen that before. The place I was thinking of is in Switerland and has also been ridden by Mr Rey.....

gorge3sm.jpg

Used to be a GT advert I think.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    good to see they are wearing helmets :wink:
  • campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    Noodley wrote:

I'd want a parachute :D
  • speshcp
    edited July 2007
    Noodley wrote:

<searches for video footage of a bloke BASE-jumping by riding a bike off a cliff> :wink: :twisted:

EDIT:

Found this piece of two-wheeled mentalism:

Video of bloke doing stunts on edge of tall building (has sound)

Ah ha! Found some footage, but not what I was after.

"it was a nice bike"

Also found this:

Photos of Stefan Oberlander's 3000 ft jump P
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Noodley wrote:

I'd want Tarmac :shock:

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • Red Lemon
    Red Lemon Posts: 3,433
    speshcp wrote:
    <searches for video footage of a bloke BASE-jumping by riding a bike off a cliff> :wink: :twisted:
    Did you see the feature in MBUK with someone doing that?

On a similar note, apparently someone also tried to base jump niagara falls with a jet ski. While this is natural selection at its best, it seems a waste of a perfectly good jet ski.
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    Fab Foodie wrote:
    Noodley wrote:

I'd want Tarmac :shock:

I'd want an air ambulance fueled and on stand by.
  • shazzz wrote:

Must admit I slagged it off which makes me an arse. :cry:
  • speshcp
    shazzz wrote:

Must admit I slagged it off which makes me an ars*. :cry:

Same goes for a lot of us I think, but at least you're still here and contributing, which is more than can be said for a lot of people. :wink:
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    I don't think there was anything arsey about slagging it off - we are demonstrating our determined character by sticking around :wink:
  • speshcp
    Red Lemon wrote:
    speshcp wrote:
    Did you see the feature in MBUK with someone doing that?

On a similar note, apparently someone also tried to base jump niagara falls with a jet ski. While this is natural selection at its best, it seems a waste of a perfectly good jet ski.

I think I can top that. :D

Aerial Extreme has footage of some nutter sky-diving from 11,000 ft on a jetski, which actually survives the drop (though it's a close-run thing!). :shock:

There's also more Norway BASE-jumping madness on two wheels. :D
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Getting back to the original subject, I agree. This site is fulfilling all needs right now and I think that the people who fled are missing out.
  • Max Weber
    Max Weber Posts: 183
    I'm sure they're getting their fill of in-jokes.
  • After all, its is JUST a forum, with a few different colours and icons. I am amazed at the number of dramatic exits that have taken place. If you dont want to post, then don't! Simple!

I got the impression that Cakestop is less about cycling and more about virtual friends (like soapbox only swap friends for hate figures). It's surprising how many people only post in one or two sections: you might conclude that they rarely ride a bike, let alone race one!
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    My favourite sections, Race and Know-how have also improved a lot over the last few days. Touring & Expedition is coming along nicely too, with some new faces. We're lucky to have John Stevenson who, as well as being an excellent mod, is contributing to Know How and is up there in the polymath league with Pete Biggs, Chris Juden and Sheldon Brown.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • Yorkshireman
    Yorkshireman Posts: 999
    Eurostar wrote:
    My favourite sections, Race and Know-how have also improved a lot over the last few days. Touring & Expedition is coming along nicely too, with some new faces. We're lucky to have John Stevenson who, as well as being an excellent mod, is contributing to Know How and is up there in the polymath league with Pete Biggs, Chris Juden and Sheldon Brown.

I`m with you there buddy ... :wink:
    :lol:
    Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat... but the wind is mostly in your face!
  • beanzontoast
    beanzontoast Posts: 1,457
    I don't think anyone thought it wouldn't improve here over time - the only gripe I had was that the change was so drastic. A lot of the deficiencies people pointed out / improvements they asked from day one for are exactly the things that make the difference between an enjoyable forum visit and a confusing one. My feeling was that these improvements were largely obvious and could have been anticipated and built into the new set-up before the change.

Constructive feedback is not a bad thing. If people left without giving any feedback, that is up to them - there's no paid membership! On the other hand, given that the old C+ formum was so good for so long, I think giving some feedback was worthwhile in the hope that the new one could evolve.

Maybe people will return in time, even if they do keep feet in another camp as well.

Edited by beanzontoast looking ever so carefully for mistakes
  • shazzz wrote:
    Ooooh, had never seen that before. The place I was thinking of is in Switerland and has also been ridden by Mr Rey.....

gorge3sm.jpg

Used to be a GT advert I think.

ok but what's the scariest one you've actually ridden yourself :)
    i've ridden along this trail (albeit with occasional stopping for the tricky bits) - it's not officially a cliff but fairly scary nonetheless
    DSC00049.jpg
  • snorri
    snorri Posts: 2,981
    It's surprising how many people only post in one or two sections: you might conclude that they rarely ride a bike, let alone race one!

I post in several sections, ride my bike regularly, but never race :)
    Your posting highlights another anomaly in the forum index. Commuting, and Touring are usually on road activities, but Commuters is not included in Road, whilst Touring is. There is a Beginners section in the MTB area, but not in Road, why not I ask? Also the Family section, why is it neither MTB or Road. The heading "Road" appears to give an impression to some that this is the road racing section, which would be fine if there was another section for non racers who cycle on the road. :)
  • speshcp
    snorri wrote:
    There is a Beginners section in the MTB area, but not in Road, why not I ask?

First board in the road forum:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=40020

:wink:
  • Eurostar wrote:

Ooh, I'm blushing.

I really don't think I bear comparison with that company. Chris is, if memory serves, an actual qualified engineer, while Sheldon has decades of bike shop experience that puts my long-ago retail and spanner-twiddling days to shame, and Pete has answered more questions in various forums and newsgroups than I have had hot dinners.

But, thank you for the flattery - it will, of course, get you everywhere.
    John Stevenson
  • snorri
    snorri Posts: 2,981
    speshcp wrote:
    snorri wrote:
    There is a Beginners section in the MTB area, but not in Road, why not I ask?

First board in the road forum:
    Woops, sorry. :D
    I meant to point out that 'Beginners and Family' is also in some void between Road and MTB.
  • shazzz
    Is it my imagination or has the font got bigger???

The user names are not all caps anymore, and we have a search and members list. Things are definately moving in the right direction.

Onwards and upwards!!

• and there are different shades for each post now...! Whatever next?!
  • shazzz
    Well, it looks like I could do with a spell check facility. :oops: