NE - Any plans for this weekend

BillyBull
BillyBull Posts: 8
edited July 2007 in MTB rides
Any rides decided on for this weekend during the weekly Chopwell trip? Did you visit bike shop? Should be free one day if I negotiate right.

Also has anyone seen our lanky pet mountain bike instructor, answering to the name of Robin. Last seen alive at Dalby! Very tall thin gormlous looking lad on one of them really common specialized enduros. There's a reward for his return, lots of out of date energy bars.

[/b]

Comments

• Cazzdevil
    Cazzdevil Posts: 7,237
    I'm helping my folks at the Otterburn fair on Saturday but Gordon and I are doing a 47 mile charity ride from Allenheads to Sunderland on Sunday.

Not sure what anyone else is up to...
  • nodrog2
    nodrog2 Posts: 3,125
    Maybe it those pesky kids that got him or maybe the 'out of date' energy bars got him. Have you checked under the patio at his place as well :D

As Cazz says, doing a charity ride from Allenheads to Sunderland this weekend Billy and i'm working on saturday. Not sure what the rest of the bunch are up to though.
  • BillyBull
    BillyBull Posts: 8
    He's alive!!!! Aparrently he has man flu. Be all that Yorkshire rain last weekend. Must a be a particularly virilant strain that effects your fingers and stops you responding to texts!
  • CK
    CK Posts: 88
    Hi, What type of riding do you guys do? The wife is getting sick of coming riding and says i need new friends (the rest wont come anymore as they usually end up in hospital, well 2 of them did). I like this freeride lark but at 34 cant keep up with the kids who have no fear of 15 foot drops.

Other than that do you know any good riding spots near Sunderland other than hamsterly and chopwell.
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Trail riding!

Mostly XC type stuff but most of us will have a go at anything (some more than others).

To give you a better idea the last few rides we have done:

Glentress red (with bits of black and blue)

Eildon Hills in the Borders

Dalby Red

Guisborough woods

Chopwell forest

Hamsterley (Black + secret bits)

Come and join us up at Chopwell every Tuesday evening for a ride and some banter (mostly banter on a Tuesday) and see whether you enjoy it....

(Age range from 24 to 40 so you'll fit right in!)
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • Q
    Q Posts: 530
    Who's 40?

I'll have you know I'm only 39 (at least for another 4 weeks I am!)
  • Dr_Death
    Speaking of which, I don't think I'm gonna be able to make it to your B'day. I have already been invited to anothre I'm afraid!!

Still, I'm sure you'll still have a good night without me ;-).

Happy birthday Old man!
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

• Q
    Q Posts: 530
    No worries mate, we not doing much for the kids anyway.
  • Dr_Death
    b'dum cha
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

• Dr_Death
    Although to be honest most of the people there will be kids - compared to you, grandad!!

:wink::wink::wink:
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

• HJ1976
    HJ1976 Posts: 205
    Hi - well I guess it will be a while till I'm up to doing most of the rides that were listed earlier on this thread - but If you have any other unfit / novices who are tryng to get fit and have fun doing it I might have to meet up with them!
  • Dr_Death
    Don't worry about fitness, we don't. The Chopwell rides on a Tuesday are more of a social outing than a bike ride. Usually takes us about 2 1/2 hours to do about 7-8 miles!
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

• HJ1976
    Please excuse me being dense but where is Chopwell- as I am in M'Bro, and thanks to shared custody arrangements I am child free from friday at 6 untill about August 12th! :D
    I am drastically unfit and crap at anything bumpier than a bowling green, and hills are something I go down on my snowboard!
    But it would be great to meet some other people!
  • Dr_Death
    Chopwell is just outside newcastle.

However, I'm just getting a mate back into cycling who is also drastically unfit. I am planning on taking him up to Guisborough again woods some time next week. You'd be more than welcome to join us.
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

• HJ1976
    Well other than Saturday when I might have to take my mum to TEESSIDE airport I'm Free!
  • HJ1976
    Hi, Guisborough woods has been mentioned to me in a few different places, and I was wondering how beginner friendly it is?
    As it will possibly be an OK weekend I was thinking about going there and Dalby (one on each day) and was hoping for peoples honest opinions.
  • nodrog2
    nodrog2 Posts: 3,125
    There is some excellent stuff in Guisborough woods(not all of it legal though!) but i'm not sure how beginner friendly it is, the stuff i've done down that way was all pretty technical although i'm sure there will be some beginner stuff. Dalby is also pretty good, the red route is great but again it's a little bit technical in places and it seems longer than its actual 23 miles. However there are other shorter and easier routes there.

Next time some of us NE lot are down that way we'll give you a shout. Some of us may be heading down to the Cleveland hills on sunday although the length and start location of the route are undecided as yet. You intersested?
  • slimbob
    slimbob Posts: 35
    HJ, how's it going?

I did Guisborough a few months ago and it was pretty dull to be honest. I know some of the NE lot had an awesome ride round their a few weeks previous but they had a guide or two. I think you do need to know where to go.

I think Dalby is brilliant, if I were you I'd do what Gordon said, either do Dalby Saturday and hook up with us Sunday down in the Cleveland Hills (if it happens) or do Dalby both days as there is plenty to be going at their. The red route there has loads of technical stuff on it but nothing you can't take slow or avoid hurting yourself on.

PS Gordon, see how quickly I turned from Fatbob to Slimbob - if only I had too! It appears they have assumed my never used previous MBUK id.
  • HJ1976
    I have decided to do Dalby tomorrow (probably just the long green though) and then possibly Guisborough on Sunday.
    I had a drive past the car park last night and took a look at the map and it seems ok (no contour markers though) then had a drive past the bottom of Roseberry toping.....house for sale in Newton under Roseberry.....wish I had the money for it :(