First Run Out on New Bike

Rich Hcp
Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Finally got a chance to have a reasonable runout, 10 miles.

I've had my Spez Allez Sport for two weeks, but because of the crap weather I couldn't ride it until last week, when one of the Shimano 105 pedals came off and remained stuck in the cleats!:cry:

I'd done about a mile, plusa bi of "unclipping practise" :(

So back to my freindly LBS who had no more in stock, happily he fixed it today and delivered it FOC and I get a spare pair of cleats 8)

Went out this evening.

Used to an MTB and it takes a while to get used to the feel and gearchange and, of course the SPDs.

Had to stop a few times to raise the saddle, I always set it too low on an unfamiliar bike, don't know why.

I expected a 'scalded cat' feel, not quite, but kept seeing 20MPH without trying too hard and it feels responsive.

Did the usual route a bit quicker at an average speed 3 MPH quicker than an MTB on semi-slicks, I'm sure I'll get quicker.

The only part of me that felt sore was my stomach, I take it this was because of using dropped bars, I think I'll get used to that once things build up a bit.

I'm really pleased that I've gone for a road bike this time (kept MTB for MTBing) and I'm really chuffed with my Allez Sport

It's going to be a great summer 8)
Richard

Giving it Large

Comments

• drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    *sigh*

You reminded me of my first spin on a real road bike. An enlightening experience. Just wait till you get to the point of seeing how fast you can take corners. You'll be surprised.

Have a blast!
  • Hello mate,

I started road biking on my mates Claude Butler Milano a few month ago (was previously on a mountain bike) and i could not believe how light it felt. Every time i tried to really dig deep on the pedals i would strangely pull up on the handlebars and the front wheel would lift off the ground, i just was'nt used to the difference in weight and responsiveness.
    I love it now though and cant wait to own my own road bike. (Im gonna get one throught the cycle to work scheme)
    It sounds like you are pretty impressed with the allez sport and to be honest ive thought of getting this through the work scheme. looked at a few different brands but always keep coming back to the allez.......what made you buy one?,,,,if you dont mind me asking?
    my evil toad army will rule the world
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    It was either the Allez or Trek.

But the guys in the LBS that do Specialized looked after my MTB so well that I would have a look at the Allez

The Allez felt right as soon as I stood over it compared to the Trek 1000 or 1200. Seemed better built too

The fact that I got £130 off clinched the deal! (because the models change in July)

That's it really, it's a nice bike for fitness and a bit of speed when you need it
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    Got myself a focus variado the other day, looks pretty good on wiggle, but looks even better in real life! i recommend it to anyone, great price (£600) with carbon forks and 105 gruppo.