Moors Run

Diogenes
Diogenes Posts: 1,628
Now that I have managed to find my way back to the rides section, the Moors ride is still on.

Taking in the North Yorks Moors between Stokesley and Grosmont and leaving Stokesley at 10:00 on Sunday 29th July.

Maps Landranger 93 and 94.

Meet Stokesley town hall at 10:00. Sunday 29th July

Follow A173 to Great Ayton, turn R at 541088 for Easby.

Past Easby turn L at 593082 for Kildale.

Climb out of Kildale 630100 and turn R, drop down into Hob Hole and climb out other side.

At 651078 turn L and at 671081 turn R drop down to River and climb up to Castleton..

Through Castleton and on to Danby.

At Danby, over the xroads at 708087 past the moors centre and turn R.

At TJ turn L at 720078 for Lealholm.

At Lealholm Turn R at 763078.

At TJ turn L for Glaisdale,

Through Glaisdale and turn R up Limber Hill at 785056 (low gear or legs like pistons required).

Turn R at 790060 for Egton Bridge, at xroads straight across for Grosmont.

Tea and cakes at the railway station.

Leave Grosmont and climb up to Egton at 799064 and turn R and second left at 808067.

Head to Moors road (A171).

Follow the Moors road (busy, so single file) past Scaling Dam up to Lockwood Beck.

Turn Left at 674140 for Commondale. Turn R at White Cross 680109.

Through Commondale to Kildale and back to Stokesley.

Let me know if you are interested.

D :D

Comments

• I'm still in.

I'll have to make sure I arrange for the day off. A few people on holiday/maternity leave at work so keep being given sunday shifts at the moment :cry:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    Yep, I am still up for it 8)
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Diogenes
    Hi Steve, should be a good run, would be nice to get out without getting wet though!

SSS, where have you been, you've missed a few good rides. Last weekend was an excellent run out to Reeth, the hill at Marske still rips my legs off though.

Anyway, looking forward to the Grosmont run.

• Like I said, had to work unfortunately. I don't usually do sundays but with the staff being short it was only fair really, plus the manager remembers favours.

The rest of the summer should be clear now though (fingers crossed).
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • My soaring weight and plummeting fitness levels mean that the full ride could be a struggle but I might meet you at Castleton and see how I go before leaving you at Lockwood beck.
    I know this will leave you open to being dragged into the pub when i'm not there to protect you but it can't be helped. :D:D
    climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber.
  • Diogenes
    DO,

It will be a good ride.....and I could do with someone to keep a short overweight rider company!

• hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Might join you for a bit of the ride. The in-laws live at Easington near Loftus and I suspect we will being going to see then next weekend so could join you until Danby. Will post later in the week when I know what we are doing.
  • mdg1157
    mdg1157 Posts: 222
    hope to make it, provided wifes got nothing planned( nothing as yet!). Just plotted the (approx)route on my edge, about 100km from stokesley.
    By the way, how fast do u all go (dont want to get dropped) and what are you riding?
  • Diogenes
    MDG,

Don't worry about getting dropped, that's my role!. Whilst I enjoy the moors I am not designed for going up quickly. Some might argue that I am not designed for going up at all :wink:

We will be riding road bikes of one type or another but all you need is a bike you can ride, although a penny farthing may be a bit tough.

I hope you can make it.

• Diogenes
    So far we have:-

SteveGT
    SOS
    Desert Orchid
    Hugo15
    MDG1157
    Mike and Alec from the weekend warriors

Yours truly.

Any more takers?
  • Ryedaleman
    Ryedaleman Posts: 68
    Hope to ride over from Malton so see you in Danby area..look out for the flourecent orange bike and green ankle bands.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Sorry guys but I won't be out this weekend. Picked up a nasty little virus and feel pretty rough at the moment :( Hope you have a great ride.
  • Diogenes
    hugo15 wrote:
    Sorry guys but I won't be out this weekend. Picked up a nasty little virus and feel pretty rough at the moment :( Hope you have a great ride.

Shame, should be a good ride.

Ryedaleman, we'll keep an eye open for you and your fluorescent orange bike.

• D,
    i'm fresh? from a week of overtime in the BOS but still planning on meeting up with you.
    when and where do you think you will be in Castleton?
    might have to leave you at Lockwood.
    now where is my " Lantern Rouge " jersey..... : :)
    climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber.
  • Steve GT
    D,
    i'm fresh? from a week of overtime in the BOS but still planning on meeting up with you.

Do you have a red bin liner DO ? :roll: :lol:
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Diogenes
    D,

I guess we will get to Castleton about 11:30 ish then follow the road to Danby.

I was going to suggest mobiles but the signal in Castleton is poor. Suggest you get to Castleton and wait in the Tea rooms and we will pick you up on the way through.

• Diogenes
    Steve GT wrote:
    D,

Do you have a red bin liner DO ? :roll: :lol:

DO

I suspect you are not going to live down the bin liner, no matter how sartorially elegant you consider it to be :lol:

• Diogenes
    Ryedaleman wrote:
    Hope to ride over from Malton so see you in Danby area..look out for the flourecent orange bike and green ankle bands.

You shouldn't miss the weekend warrior element, there are couple a skinny guys, a short fat one (me) and bloke about 6 foot 20 tall, accompanied by welcome attendees of this forum. SteveGT will probably be sitting at the tops of the hills reading the paper whilst the rest of us mere mortals catch up.

• mdg1157
    Don't laugh too much, but I will be wearing a red jersey( probably appropriate, 90kg against gravity isn't quick!!), but I get down quick!!
  • Diogenes
    mdg1157 wrote:
    Don't laugh too much, but I will be wearing a red jersey( probably appropriate, 90kg against gravity isn't quick!!), but I get down quick!!

If I was the right height for my weight I would be 6' 4", only another 7 inches to grow then. Oh hang on a minute, I stopped growing upwards about 30 years ago, all current growth is lateral.

• Ryedaleman
    Ryedaleman Posts: 68
    Sorry I missed you, I didnt leave Malton until just after nine (barbeque at mates house night before) and so didnt get to Caslteton until 11, and Danby about 11.07. To make things worse I forgot to carry route sheet and turned left up the bank at Leaholme when I should have turned right to Glaisedale. Dropped into Egton bridge around 12ish (another big mistake) and thought I could ride along the valley to Grosmont and see you at cafe...after going up the climb.. I thought bugger it they will have left by now and I dont want to come up that again. Carried on to Stape and Pickering.

Hope you all had a good day, I did, 69 miles when back home in Malton at 2ish.

Perhaps I could organise one on this side of the moors, say based on Helmsley/Pickering.
  • Steve GT
    Many thanks for a great ride Dio!!
    Enjoyed it a great deal.
    Look out for my forum ride I will post very soon. :)
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • mdg1157
    Hi guys, thoroughly enjoyed the ride out yesterday, although woke up this morning with the mother of all colds!! Excelent challenging route ,loads of hills, must have been on a good day cos none seemed to bad!!!(only felt close to death after the climb out of egton bridge!!)
    Was a bit apprehensive at coming out on a ride not knowing anyone, but was made to feel more than welcome
    Will definitely try to get out pretty regularly, work and family permitting
  • Diogenes
    Glad you enjoyed it chaps, thanks for coming along. Good ride, good company and half decent weather, what more could you want. Well okay the beer was good too. :D

Will look forward to coming down to your patch Steve.

• Diogenes
    Ryedaleman wrote:
    Sorry I missed you, I didnt leave Malton until just after nine (barbeque at mates house night before) and so didnt get to Caslteton until 11, and Danby about 11.07. To make things worse I forgot to carry route sheet and turned left up the bank at Leaholme when I should have turned right to Glaisedale. Dropped into Egton bridge around 12ish (another big mistake) and thought I could ride along the valley to Grosmont and see you at cafe...after going up the climb.. I thought bugger it they will have left by now and I dont want to come up that again. Carried on to Stape and Pickering.

Hope you all had a good day, I did, 69 miles when back home in Malton at 2ish.

Perhaps I could organise one on this side of the moors, say based on Helmsley/Pickering.

You must have only just missed us, we got to Castleton just after 11 and had lunch at the train station in Grosmont. I also thought we could follow a route along the river to Grosmont from Egton Bridge, try explaining to half a dozen hungry cyclists that they have to ride up a 1 in 3 to get back to Egton, before dropping all the way back down to Grosmont.