how much food to take on a ride

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
i have just done a 62 mile ride i had 3 weetabix before i set off took 2- 1 litre bottles of diluted orange with me, and 3 apples, after about 35 miles it gets harder to get up hills then a bit more apple and drink and gets a bit easier then hard again, muscles seem to give up at times, im i not eating enough food, it took me over 4 hrs for this ride.

Comments

• Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    If I was doing 60 miles non stop, or 60 on the outward leg I would go through 2 750ml bottles and 1 or 2 energy bars.

If using fruit I use bananas simply because I find apples too acidic when on the bike.

Most of our weekend rides are in the 80 to 100 mile mark this time of year but we normally stop halfway for tea and scones which when supplemented by an energy bar is enough to get me around.

Once you have done a few longer rides you will soon work out what you need and it often depends on the terrain.

D :D
  • NedKelly
    NedKelly Posts: 15
    Did the Manchester to Blackpool at the weekend and having never done anything over 40 miles before was a little bit cautious about nutrition.

I ended up having platefuls of Pasta for a couple of days before as well as drinking loads of sports drinks, i had a large bowl of Porridge on the morning of the run and had 4 Oat Flap Jacks and 3 Smart 1 Gel packs in my back pockets as well as a rain jacket
    ( the back of my jersey was almost touching the floor as i walked about at Haigh Hall),
    I also had 2 500Ml drinks bottles on the bike.

I used 2 Flap Jacks, 2 gel packs and 1.5 bottles and to be honest i was pretty full come the end of the run, i was gagging for a pint from the beer tent at the end but thought it was wise to avoid temptation ( 1 always leads to 2 etc...)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I think lot of people actually take too much food, or should I say eat too much as it is useful to have emergency supply.
    For 50 miles I use on 800ml bottle of energy drink and two bananas , but take a gel just incase.
    I also take another 800ml bottle with squash as reserve but often only use this above 60 miles in current weather.
    There is no need for food for less than 25 miles really.
    I just have poridge before leaving though.
    The struggling after 35 miles might just be a fitness problem, I doubt if it is food knock eating as much as you did.
  • i tend to take very little with me, energy drink and some kendal mint cake does me :wink:
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Ten days ago, I did a 60 mile race with nearly 4000 feet of climbing. During the race I drank 500 ml of a mineral water-fruit juice 3:1 mix, spread over the whole distance, and I ate 1 power bar, this at about the 40-45 mile stage.

Having said that, the race started at 3 pm and beforehand, I made sure I had consumed enough food and drink, without overdoing it.
    About 9.30 am I breakfasted on a tumbler of grapefruit juice, muesli with milk, 3 mugs of black tea with milk (250 ml per mug), and a unsweetened fruit yoghurt,. About 12 noon I had 2 ozs of cooked pasta with grated parmesan on top, 3 mugs of herbal tea, and a jam butty. About 1.30 pm I had a banana, and 20 mins before the start I had about 250 ml of plain water.

Apart from the fact I think I should have eaten the power bar a little earlier during the race, I think I did it about right.
    At another similar event about a month ago, I found eating 1 banana and a power bar enough food during the 70 miles, though admittedly, the race began only 1½ hours after a similar breakfast to above. It had more climbing and was warmer weather, so I needed to drink about 1 litre total underway.
  • monnet
    monnet Posts: 49
    For anything up to 40 miles I just go out with water. 40-60 I take 500-750ml of energy drink and, if it's going to be hilly and/ or closer to 60, an energy gel. When I've done 100's it's always banana, two energy bars, 1 or 2 gels, a bit of fruit cake and 1.5 litres of energy drink. On this kind of ride I try to eat from about an hour in and nibble on things every 10 or fifteen minutes.

I might not be a pro but I take their view that you have to keep a constant stream of energy going in. If you don't you'll feel it for the rest of the week. The only timeI've been caught short for food on a 100 is also the only time I've felt truly bad after a ride. Little and often is the secret as if you try to eat all in one go it's easy to get indegestion and stitches while cycling are no fun at all.
  • Generally eat little and often, especially if you are riding into unknown distances. It's always best to take too much until you have enough experience of your requirements for the distance and effort you are planing to ride.
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    For 60 miles you should easily be able to get by with 2 bottles of energy drink and a few gels in your back pocket. Depending on how far from home you are when you have finished the ride, you may want to ease off for the last 45 minutes or so in order to build up some appetite for real food.
    ________
    Motorcycle Tires
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • domtyler wrote:
    For 60 miles you should easily be able to get by with 2 bottles of energy drink and a few gels in your back pocket. Depending on how far from home you are when you have finished the ride, you may want to ease off for the last 45 minutes or so in order to build up some appetite for real food.

Not if you're not fit, and this is a first attempt at a big distance, let alone one with big climbs in it. I think this advice is applicable only if you are experienced fit cyclist.
  • NedKelly
    NedKelly Posts: 15
    had 4 Oat Flap Jacks and 3 Smart 1 Gel packs in my back pockets

I must be a greedy get !
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    i tend to take very little with me, energy drink and some kendal mint cake does me :wink:

Kendal mint cake.... hmmmmm. :D
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    As SteveR says...fitness is crucial. When I'm fit I find that I eat less and drink more. But also drinking the right things for me is important.
    It's a journey of self discovery really*.

*No, I'm not a hippy :wink:
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    kendal mint cake is the sh.it! :)
    over a 45 mile ride in the peak district, normally take a 750ml bottle of diluted squash or PSP22. Also take a powerbar and a choccy biscuit, but some kendal mint cake might have to come into play!