"Vain" helmetless riders risk head injury

2»

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Do you want to have my children?

Slightly OT - in this case it is the helmet that wears the protection!

Although I am sure that insisting on wearing a cycle helmet during sex would be effective in the terms of contraception!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    He probably means just for the summer holidays.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    :D
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Tourist Tony
    Cunobelin wrote:
    Do you want to have my children?

Slightly OT - in this case it is the helmet that wears the protection!

Although I am sure that insisting on wearing a cycle helmet during sex would be effective in the terms of contraception!

Would depend on how wide the cooling slots were.....
  • If I do get flashed, is there any way i could get a picture of myself, or would that be too dangerous. I understand they couldn't get me for speeding, but might for "riding furiously" or some such

Sorry, my 2p worth, this is not correct, you can be prosecuted for speeding regardless of the mode of transport. However obviously when on a bike no endorsement points are involved on a licence. And since bikes don't carry reg plates you'll never actually get caught.

On a complete aside I once saw a couple of lads on BMX's deliberatley setting off a speed cam at the bottom of a huge hill near Devon whilst having a rest stop. Very amusing I thought :lol:
  • Tourist Tony
    Completely wrong. Speed limits, unless specific as in Richmond Park, apply only to "mechanically propelled vehicles". With the exception given, they do NOT apply to bicycles and other HPVs.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I am aware that the law regards bicycles as "carriages" but not as mechanically propelled vehicles. This is strange because the drive train of any bike exactly conforms to a precise and literal definition of mechanical propulsion. However, the law as it is applied does not regard vehicles without engines as mechanical, so a cyclist can't be prosecuted for speeding under the same laws that a motorist can.
    However....
    A speeding cyclist can be prosecuted under other laws, such as "riding furiously" or "frightening horses" or some such.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • At least in my local authourity area of Scotland, traffic orders are written specifically in the form "......drive or cause to be driven any motor vehicle, pedal cycle...."

Now if you were breaking 60mph there would not be a specific traffic order, and you might be OK.... ;-) YMMV
  • Tourist Tony
    dondare wrote:
    I am aware that the law regards bicycles as "carriages" but not as mechanically propelled vehicles. This is strange because the drive train of any bike exactly conforms to a precise and literal definition of mechanical propulsion. However, the law as it is applied does not regard vehicles without engines as mechanical, so a cyclist can't be prosecuted for speeding under the same laws that a motorist can.
    However....
    A speeding cyclist can be prosecuted under other laws, such as "riding furiously" or "frightening horses" or some such.
    Exactly!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Helmetless riders risk their lives

So do smokers

Have we had a case of passive helmetlessness yet?

BTW, I wear one.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Smoking is one issue, however 61 - 64 % of head injuries are alcohol related.

So there is definitive proof that you should not go to the pub without a helmet!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)