Getting a deal on a bike

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
So - what did you do to secure a good deal (money off, bits thrown in, etc) from your shop when you last bought?

I may be looking to buy soon but not spend much, 2 shops in spitting distance of each other so could play them off against each other? Would need (deep breath) pump, lights, lock, guards...

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I have a mate who has just gone for the up front "what discount are you going to give me" question as soon as the person starts talking to him. I've seen it work twice, and fail three times. The two successes included 10% off and offer of some accessories (lights, drinks bottle, pump).

Another option is to simply go for a previous year's bike, as that will have a discount already. Or you could join an organisation like the CTC or LCC, as you are then able to get discounts as a member.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I got £130 off my Spez Allez Sport :lol:

That's because the models change in July :lol:
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • killiekosmos
    killiekosmos Posts: 772
    Last time I bought a bike from LBS I did internet research on price. I then asked them what they would do dal for, after a little haggling I got £30 off and the usual (true) stuff about setting the bike up correctly, 6 week check etc.

If you don't ask - you don't get
    Be nice to grumpy old men (or else!)
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Firstly it helps to know a little about the manufacturer. Some (such as Specialized) don't like LBS's discounting bikes, so there is probably little point asking. BUT an LBS will have some room to offer accessories.

I was hoping for around 10% off the total price of the bike / accessories. Test rode a few bikes, gave the shop a list of the accessories I wanted, and some time to play with the numbers. It helped a little they couldn't get the model I wanted in my size, but had the next model up in stock but I made suitable noises about being concerned about the extra cost.

In the end I was charged full price for the bike (£500), but they gave me about £190 worth of accessories (lock, cable, helment, track pump, guards, rack, decent pannier) for £100.

So approx 15% off all in- which was nice, and all fitted ("a b1tch of a job"), bike set up, and 6 week service included. I doubt if I would have saved anything by buying online.

Rufus.