Winter Cycling

Eyeball Tickler
Eyeball Tickler Posts: 86
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Hi everyone,

Well, an appendix infection and operation has ended my main summer cycling plans (I was supposed to be heading to Wales at the end of this week to start a Fishguard-Portsmouth along the coast cycle), which is a bit of a bummer because this was really the first summer when I was properly devoting myself to it. It now looks like it'll bid mid or late August when I back to 100%....

So I'm turning my attention to Autumn and Winter. I've only cycled intermittently (ie on dry, right, calm days) in October - February before, but I really would like to make it my principle form of exercise this winter.

It's often that I've come across people on cycling message boards talking about how they do things differently during the winter, from the obvious stuff like different clothing to different bits of gear and even different bikes.

So my question is simply this - what is necessary for safe and happy winter cycling?

A (good) new bike isn't really option, so I'll have to work with the racer I have (5-7 year old Spesh). Obviously I can figure out the clothing sutff, but am a bit more unsure when it comes to the bike. A chunkier pair of tyres would make a lot of sense I think, but after that I can't really think of any other essentials for cycling in the cold and wet.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Lenny

Comments

• A decent set of lights, maybe some reflectives. Alturas Night Vision stuff looks good to me.
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    Hi everyone,

Well, an appendix infection and operation has ended my main summer cycling plans (I was supposed to be heading to Wales at the end of this week to start a Fishguard-Portsmouth along the coast cycle), which is a bit of a bummer because this was really the first summer when I was properly devoting myself to it. It now looks like it'll bid mid or late August when I back to 100%....

So I'm turning my attention to Autumn and Winter. I've only cycled intermittently (ie on dry, right, calm days) in October - February before, but I really would like to make it my principle form of exercise this winter.

It's often that I've come across people on cycling message boards talking about how they do things differently during the winter, from the obvious stuff like different clothing to different bits of gear and even different bikes.

So my question is simply this - what is necessary for safe and happy winter cycling?

A (good) new bike isn't really option, so I'll have to work with the racer I have (5-7 year old Spesh). Obviously I can figure out the clothing sutff, but am a bit more unsure when it comes to the bike. A chunkier pair of tyres would make a lot of sense I think, but after that I can't really think of any other essentials for cycling in the cold and wet.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Lenny

Mudguards and lights are obvious additions.

I have ridden nearly every weekend since mid-December and have used tracksuit bottoms, a Canterbury base layer and Aldi's finest winter shirts and tops to keep me warm not forgetting their (Aldi;s) winter gloves. Panaracer Pasela tyres have served me well year round.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Up here in Canada, we have mighty cold winters, so what I propose may be overkill for you.

I have a second pair of cycling shoes that are bigger so i can fit really warm socks in them when need be. i don't leave home with the heavy socks on, but always tote around two pairs in a plastic ziploc bag. Only put them on when you get cold. Lake makes some really nice winter cycling boots, if you've got the budget. i always have a lot of different layers of clothing I can combine to get any level of warmth and breathability I could need.

The bike itself remains pretty standard, appart from the previously mentioned lights. I keep an old pair of wheels with 'cross tires on. Slick tires work surprisingly well in heavy
    snow, until you have to turn a corner, but cross tires are better when there's just a thin layer down. Any "winter tire" with metal studs I've tried were pure $h!t so steer clear of those. If you're not going to encounter any snow, regular road tires of 25 width with less pressure than usual should do the trick. I hope black ice is a scarcity where you live, because that's put me on my ass many times.

And if it's anything like over here, you'll need to pack some indifference to dish out to all the motorists calling you crazy when they see you riding in freezing temps. Winter riding shouldn't be a drag and can be great fun. Sure beats the rollers.
  • Thanks for the advice guys.

My bike needs a new pair of tyres anyway. I know nothing about different types, but I'd like something that might be reasonably equipped to deal with wet or frosty weather but also with less-than-great roads. I'll go into my LBS next week to see what they recommend, but if anyone has a suggestion do pass it on.

Will look at the Panaracers Vernon, thanks.

One other question: Is it 'normal' to put mudguards on a racer? To most people who cycle racers in winter put them on?

It's just that I can't for the life of me recall seeing one!
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    What I do is fit a size up in tires(23->25) as puncture resistant as possible, smear some grease on steel bolt heads, and fit raceblades. These a half sized mudguards which keep your arse and legs reasonably dry. Its unusual to be able to get full mudguards on a racer - no fittings and the clearances are too tight.