Difference between SPD pedals

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Whats the difference between the 520s and 540s?

Comments

• Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    I have 520s on the Audax bike and 540s on the fixed. I can't tell any difference.

The "What MTB Mag" review on wiggle says:

"
    What does your extra tenner get you over the Shimano M520s? Well, they're a wee bit lighter and everything just feels a bit better quality out of the box, and there are no spanner flats on the cro-mo spindles so they tighten onto the crank with an allen key out back, looking neater as a result. Apart from that, it's more or less the same pedal, the same gappy mud-friendlier design, the same Shimano float and release feel. You either do or you don't really.
    "
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • spasypaddy
    can the 520s be used with an allen key at all?
  • carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    520 - 540 - 970

similar design, each is 25g lighter than the previous model. The better the model the longer lasting the parts. I've got the 540's on both my bikes, I felt it was the best compromise between cost and performance. But I have to say I would rather have the even the 520's than go back to toe clips and straps.

The 520's do not use an allen key to tighten them to the cranks, whereas the others do. This gives a neater design for the 540's and 970's IMHO.
  • spasypaddy
    see thats what i thought, but when i took what i thought was 520s off my bike the other day they came off with a pedal spanner and then i put them back on with an allen key... have i got 540s when i only paid for 520s?
  • Greenbank
    I'll check out my Audax bike when I get home (as that has 520s on it). Can't tell for sure from the photo I've got.
    --
  • carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    Hi spasypaddy,

You cannot get a spanner on the 540's I have. The shaft from the pedal to crank end thread is totally smooth, with an 8mm allen key hole in the end (opposite the spd end). That is not to say that older 540's didnt have flats for a spanner as well (or that 520's don't have an allen key hole in the end). All I can say is mine (which have been purchased in the last 12 months) don't. :)
  • spasypaddy
    right i bought mine this year so then i will probably have the 520s :( not that it makes any difference!
  • Greenbank
    I'm pretty sure my 540s have both allen key and flats for pedal spanner.

I'll post for sure in about an hour.
    --
  • Greenbank
    My 540s can only be done up with an 8mm allen key. The spindles are rounded with no spanner flats.

My 520s can be done up with either. They have both spanner flats and a recess for an allen key (although it's 6mm not 8mm).
    --