winter riding jacket

ignition2000
ignition2000 Posts: 66
edited July 2007 in XC and Enduro
although its still sort of summer, i'm looking into a winter riding jacket. Are there any good ones out there that provide warmth and keep you dry if it pours down.

Thanks.
Bike - Trek Remey
Kenesis XC2 custom build

Comments

• Rigid Raider
    Rigid Raider Posts: 1,568
    I have a venerable old Freestyle jacket in Goretex, which I must have owned for 15 years. It cost a lot at the time (£80?) but has more than repaid me. When I first got it, it was really excellent, I used it as a lightweight walking jacket in the Canadian Rockies and in heavy Scottish rain and it perfomed perfectly. Nowadys it has a few holes in it and it doesn't repel any more so the surface gets wet but it's still largely waterproof if you don't mind the odd leak! From time to time I soak it in Thomson's waterseal which makes it a bit stiff, but what the hell!

BTW this is a shell only; I wouldn't recommend anything with insulation because it will be too hot in warm wet UK conditions.

What I'm saying is, go out and buy the best you can afford and you won't regret it.
    Global TH1.5 Ti hardtail.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I normally ride with a long sleeve jersey sometimes with a gilet over the top,if its a bit fresh.I find a jacket too hot to unless its less than 0oc or really raining.
    I have an Endura Nigt vision jacket,but it gets a bit clammy on longer rides.
    I'd buy one thats just a shell and as iught as breathable as possible.Paclite and Altec 3 are good fabrics.

If you are on a budget,Altura Crosslite is meant to be good.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • thecatz
    thecatz Posts: 2
    There is only one jacket - Showers Pass Elite 2.0 made from the most breathable fabric in the world, eVENT.
    I had to order this from Showers Pass direct from America www.showerspass.com and after buying half a dozen jackets over the last 20+ years would never buy another.