Mammoths

formerlyknownasbonj
formerlyknownasbonj Posts: 483
edited July 2007 in The bottom bracket
just seen this on the BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6284214.stm

apparently they're going to try and knock one up.

Comments

• Peyote
    Peyote Posts: 2,189
    Didn't they learn anything from Jurassic Park?!
  • SJ
    SJ Posts: 2,871
    Peyote wrote:

Perhaps they thought that dinosaurs eating people would be good for global warming?
    a dirtbag of the most delightful variety
  • stage_fright
    stage_fright Posts: 218
    Not sure a mammoth counts as a dinosaur - but might there might be some good eating on one?

Mammoth steaks - yum!
    Chocolate makes your clothes shrink
  • Peyote
    SJ wrote:
    Peyote wrote:

Perhaps they thought that dinosaurs eating people would be good for global warming?

Good point, and if they eat enough of them then it probably will be a good thing for global warming.

Though I thought dinosaurs tended to prefer warmer climates? So reversing global warming would be a bit self defeating for them. Good for the Mammoths though...
  • Peyote wrote:

mammoths won't be dangerous. :wink: They're only elephants with tusks. An elephant could kill a human if it wanted to without tusks, but it doesn't want to so it doesn't. Same with a mammoth.
    :D
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Eh? Never seen a bull elephant in musk - about as mad and bad an animal you can get - they squish people quite often. Elephants have tusks, but mammoths have hairy coats - with global warming, can't really see a need for extra insulation.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    And Bonj adds woolly mammoths to his list of expert subjects. :wink::wink:
    Do I detect the possibility of a new sig line here ... If I had a baby... :roll:
    Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat... but the wind is mostly in your face!
  • alecstilleyedye
    alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170
    Peyote wrote:

mammoths won't be dangerous. :wink:They're only elephants with tusks. An elephant could kill a human if it wanted to without tusks, but it doesn't want to so it doesn't. Same with a mammoth.
    as opposed to what sort of elephant exactly?

you can tell arch has left the building :lol:
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • Mister Paul
    Peyote wrote:

mammoths won't be dangerous. :wink: They're only elephants with tusks. An elephant could kill a human if it wanted to without tusks, but it doesn't want to so it doesn't. Same with a mammoth.

Is that the only difference Bonjy? Except that it isn't really a difference?

mammoths won't be dangerous. :wink:They're only elephants with tusks. An elephant could kill a human if it wanted to without tusks, but it doesn't want to so it doesn't. Same with a mammoth.

What do you mean what SORT. There's only one sort. Well, two I suppose, you can get african and indian varieties apparenlty and they have different shaped ears but they are not different sorts of elephant. A mammoth would be the perfect example of another addition to the elephant family, it is an elephant but a different sort of elephant.. I think it'd be more than worthwhile if the science boffins were to crack one out.
  • formerlyknownasbonj
    formerlyknownasbonj Posts: 483
    edited July 2007

Is that the only difference Bonjy? Except that it isn't really a difference?
    Well, and brown shaggy fur. I suppose some elephants do have tusks but not as big as a mammoth's ones.
  • alecstilleyedye
    Peyote wrote:

What do you mean what SORT. There's only one sort. Well, two I suppose, you can get african and indian varieties apparenlty and they have different shaped ears but they are not different sorts of elephant. A mammoth would be the perfect example of another addition to the elephant family, it is an elephant but a different sort of elephant.. I think it'd be more than worthwhile if the science boffins were to crack one out.

your definition of a mammoth by definition makes all elephants mammoths (if mammoth = an elephant with tusks) :roll:

and how are flatulent scientists going make it worthwhile? :wink:
  • your definition of a mammoth by definition makes all elephants mammoths (if mammoth = an elephant with tusks) :roll:

and how are flatulent scientists going make it worthwhile? :wink:

oh for god's sake stop being so pedantic flower.
  • alecstilleyedye
    sorry i'll stick to supposition, guesswork and vague definitions in the future shall i?

i'm off to feed my tigers. there're bit like cats, only with claws.
  • sorry i'll stick to supposition, guesswork and vague definitions in the future shall i?

i'm off to feed my tigers. there're bit like cats, only with claws.

No, try and stick to the conversation which is about mammoths, not whether I may or may not have made a mistake in stating the correct legal definition of the precise difference between a mammoth and an elephant which is irrelevant.
    The point that was being made was that they are all of the same FAMILY of animals, in the same way that lions, tigers and cats are all of the same family. That was it, there was no more to it than that.

Perhaps it might be more interesting to discuss the impact on the world / nature if / when mammoths get recreated?
  • Mister Paul
    My wife is Helena Christensen.

But without the tusks.

But neither of them have tusks.

So they're the same thing really.

They're from the same family of animals.

Legally.

Nothing more than that.
    Your wife is Helena Christensen ?
    Oh, mine must have been lying to me for years then.

Ah well, all's not lost, at least I now know that a mammoth is an elephant with tusks and there are two sorts of elephants which are only one sort.
    Which is clear.
    As mud.
  • Look. Just understand it and understand it once and for all.
    There is only one sort of elephant. Some people think african and indian are different sorts because they have different shaped ears, but they are NOT different sorts.
    a mammoth, however, is a different sort of elephant - so if they managed to build one there then WOULD be two different sorts of elephant.
    Some elephants have tusks, but mammoths have bigger ones.
    If you don't understand that you must be fairly thick or deliberately trying not to understand.
  • Mister Paul
    edited July 2007
    Look. Just understand it and understand it once and for all.
    There is only one sort of elephant. Some people think african and indian are different sorts because they have different shaped ears, but they are NOT different sorts.
    a mammoth, however, is a different sort of elephant - so if they managed to build one there then WOULD be two different sorts of elephant.
    If you don't understand that you must be fairly thick or deliberately trying not to understand.

If Helena Christensen was hairy, would that make her different to my wife then?

Anyway Bonj, mammoths never existed until they were discovered under the ice. Did they?
    It's okay everyone, I've just looked on Wikipedia (I swear it's becoming more and more like the Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephants

Apparently there are three different species of elephant, the African Bush and African Forest varieties previously being considered the same, and the Asian (Indian) Elephant. Mammoths seem to be another species, but the same Family.

Now, a more pertinent question is, can we shear wooly mammoths? I reckon they'd make a more efficient use of resources than sheep, llama and all the other fibre providing animals!
  • Mister Paul
    No we couldn't.

Becuase then a mammoth would be the same as an elephant with tusks. And that would upset Bonj. Legally.
    Peyote wrote:
    Now, a more pertinent question is, can we shear wooly mammoths? I reckon they'd make a more efficient use of resources than sheep, llama and all the other fibre providing animals!

Nah - it's about surface area for wool vs. food requirement : a herd of sheep have a greater wool-producing surface area, weight for weight than a mammoth would have.
    A mammoth would eat as much as, say, 100 sheep but only produce 40x the wool.

However, they could perhaps be farmed in Siberia or Greenland or somewhere which is currently under-utilised by intensive factory farming methods.

Would the farmers be called mammothboys (cowboys) or mammothherds (shepherds) ?

- mammothboys sounds like it might already be a registered website address but I daren't look...
  • Look. Just understand it and understand it once and for all.

If Helena Christensen was hairy, would that make her different to my wife then?

Anyway Bonj, mammoths never existed until they were discovered under the ice. Did they?

er... consider these facts:
    1) when they were discovered under the ice, they were DEAD - which means they can be radioactively carbon-dated to prove how long ago they died.
    2) they (a lot of them at least) were discovered completey encased in the ice, not just in a cave - which means the ice must have formed AFTER the mammoths were there, i.e. they must have been in some water which then froze.

Contrast this to the fish that you constantly take the piss out of my belief that they are newly created /evolved, which were discovered ALIVE, and for which there is absolutely NO proof that they existed before they were discovered.
  • andy_wrx wrote:
    Peyote wrote:

Nah - it's about surface area for wool vs. food requirement : a herd of sheep have a greater wool-producing surface area, weight for weight than a mammoth would have.
    A mammoth would eat as much as, say, 100 sheep but only produce 40x the wool.

However, they could perhaps be farmed in Siberia or Greenland or somewhere which is currently under-utilised by intensive factory farming methods.

Would the farmers be called mammothboys (cowboys) or mammothherds (shepherds) ?

- mammothboys sounds like it might already be a registered website address but I daren't look...
    It sounds a good idea, and a mammoth-fur jumper might be quite a valuable, saleable commodity - however I don't think it would become mainstream because:
    1) mammoths would be unlikely to be able to be herded by your bog-standard german shepherd. This, I believe, is your main sticking point. It would probably be scared off because mammoths are many times bigger than it - that's if the mammoths didn't beat it up or trample on it first. A mechanical herding device could be invented, but it would be expensive - a tractor wouldn't be able to be used because it isn't manouevrable enough, they would run rings round it and the noise of its engine would probably make them stampede. You could train lions to do it, but they might revolt during training and try to herd the trainers instead, besides there isn't that many of them - although they could be bred specially. At the moment, this is looking like the best option - although a mammoth is still a good 2 or 3 times bigger than even a lion so the lions might still get scared, especially because they wouldn't have ever seen a mammoth before.

2) Space. Mammoths are huge, you would need a big, enclosed, field. Sheep can be kept anywhere, including just in generic countryside, and places where humans will also be as they aren't dangerous - however you wouldn't want mammoths getting on footpaths as they might be a danger to humans. Also sheep are ok with rocky / mountainous terrain, mammoths would not be used to this and may struggle. Fences would also be an issue, they would probably be able to batter down your standard farmer's fence quite easily, so a better method of enclosing them would have to be devised.

3) Shearing them - I wouldn't be the first to volunteer :wink: They would have to be held still by a pretty big and strong device while they were sheared. This device would have to be pretty strong but be able to hold the mammoth still without hurting it.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Were in water that froze ?
    - perhaps they didn't get on the ark, were drowned, then the water froze ?

Very few 'intact' mammoths have been found encased in ice - they would have died somewhere cold enough for them not to rot, then been progressively covered in snow, which then layered-up and became ice.

Most mammoth remains are just bones/skeletons.

Some were killed by early human hunters - mammoth bones have been found with butchery marks from flint knives.
  • andy_wrx wrote:
    Were in water that froze ?
    - perhaps they didn't get on the ark, were drowned, then the water froze ?

Very few 'intact' mammoths have been found encased in ice - they would have died somewhere cold enough for them not to rot, then been progressively covered in snow, which then layered-up and became ice.

Most mammoth remains are just bones/skeletons.

Some were killed by early human hunters - mammoth bones have been found with butchery marks from flint knives.

yeah, well - or that. water, snow - the fact is they were there before it was.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    1) mammoths would be unlikely to be able to be herded by your bog-standard german shepherd, etc, etc

I do like the idea of a mammoth 'beating up' a GSD.
    But you need to understand that a GSD is a 'shepherd' dog in that it was bred to chase-off wolves, not round-up sheep.
    You'd need something like a collie for that, which might be out of it's depth with a mammoth, I agree.

Re lions : I suspect training lions to round up the mammoths, not to eat them, might be a problem.
    Also if you think that "a mammoth is still a good 2 or 3 times bigger than even a lion" you're either seriously underestimating the size of a mammoth or think a lion is the size of a car.

Re tractors : have you not seen that safari park program from Longleat, with that nice Ben Fogle and Kate Whatsit ?They herd the rhinos and hippos about with a conventional tractor, so I don't see why a bigger tractor wouldn't work (think of something of the scale of the things they use in open-cast mining...)

2) Space. Mammoths are huge, you would need a big, enclosed, field.

No you wouldn't - I suggested Siberia or Greenland because that's the sort of environment that woolly mammoths (there were several different 'sorts', just as there are three 'sorts' of elephant alive today) were thought to live in, during the last ice age.
    But they have miles of open nowhere, few people, no fences, so are ideal.
    They'd roam loose, like sheep do on the moors, or in the outback of Australia or New Zealand. You'd simply round them up at shearing time.
    3) Shearing them - I wouldn't be the first to volunteer

I bet some Kiwis would do it. :wink:
  • Peyote
    andy_wrx wrote:

3) Shearing them - I wouldn't be the first to volunteer
    I bet some Kiwis would do it. :wink:

They'd have to use Flymos!
  • alecstilleyedye
    this thread is getting a bit wooly (sorry) :oops: :lol: