Budget Bike

Chiefwiggum
Chiefwiggum Posts: 9
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
I would like to return to road cycling for fitness and fun, but I have a limited budget.
I've looked in Halfords and seen the usual fare of the beginners forum. Not so keen, I have also seen that Raleigh do a budget road bike, the Airlite, any comments? Would it be better to go secondhand? My budget is max £250. If it is relevent I'm big boned :oops: (16st) and 5'11 tall
Any help appreciated.

Comments

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I was in Decathlon at the weekend and I think I saw 3 different road bikes under £250, the cheapest I think being £170. They seem to get decent enough feedback from others on here so might be worth looking at.

Only problem would be I suppose if you don't have a decathlon nearby, but I reckon the shop is worth a trip (I could sepnd all day in there!).
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    decathlon is very good value for entry level road bikes.
  • Shaky
    Shaky Posts: 50
    I've got a Decathlon Sport 2 which is slightly above your budget at £280 for the trip to and from work. Equipped with a Campag groupset, it's a good ride and excellent value for money.
    "Take me Garth"
    "Where? I'm low on gas and you need a jacket"
  • davidmiller
    davidmiller Posts: 320
    I bought myself a raleigh airlite 100 for commuting to work about a year ago. I'm 6 ft2, did weigh 106 kg but now down to 95.

The bike is actually quite good for what i paid for it (£200 - are they still available at that price?)

My only complaint has been what I've spent on repairing it. New bottom bracket, broken spokes which on one occasion so bad I needed a new wheel 9fat boy??).

Maybe I expected too much and other commuters will tell you that's normal.

Decent bike though. looks great in it's red livery (when clean) and the handlebars are much more comfortable than my Trek.

David
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    dodgy wheels are often the price you pay when buying a cheap bicycle.

if that makes sense.

anything with the words "alex rims" on it should be treated with extreme caution.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    The new Airlite is pretty different to the old one. The down tube shifters are gone with Campag Xenon shifters in their place. I think you have a 7 speed freewheel at the back.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    There are half a dozen or more Raleigh Airlites on ebay at the mo, a couple of used ones, and a lot of new ones, a vast majority for under £200.

I think I saw the Raleigh airlite 200 for under £250 too.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18