Pumps- Frame Fit or Pocket Mini

Alexei
Alexei Posts: 76
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Should be getting my new Celeste coloured steed soon, I'm wondering whether to put a frame fit pump on (what do people think aesthetically?)- or if not- can anyone recommend a really good pocket sized mini pump ?

Cheers

Alexei

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    Well, after getting my first p******e on my 3 month old Felt, I bought a Cyclaire pump. It comes with a strap-on bag which now also holds a tyre lever and a spare innertube, so I'm a bit more prepared, as I was very lucky that Hargroves (5 mins from work) gave my leaking tube a boost which just about got me home.

Its a bit different from the norm, as you place the main (small) unit under foot, a few inches from the vavle and then pull on a cord to inflate! It has a pressure guage that goes to 120 PSI, which the manufacturers reckon is easily within the pumps capabilities.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rohloff-rich
    rohloff-rich Posts: 232
    Co2 cannisters and inflator from tyreinflators.co.uk
    An MTBer, but with skinny wheel tendencies...
  • L60N
    L60N Posts: 223
    Ive got a crank bros mini pump which fits tidily anywhere pretty much. it is REALLY small, around 150mm in length, and has 2 pump settings high pressure/high volume. Also fits both shrader and presta valves. see it here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=8177
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    For ease of use and efficiency a frame fit pump will beat a mini pump any day. The best of the smaller pumps are probably the Topeak Road Morph ones - besically a mini floor pump.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you want to get back on the road in good time and not annoy your ride buddies, get a frame-fit pump - Topeak Road Warrior, Zefal HP-x plus the Blackburn are all good - unobtrusive when fitted under the top tube. I only use a mini pump if a frame fit doesn't fit on my frame - but it's a compromise and I hope I don't flat because even the best ones take ages to reach anything like a decent pressure. Cyclaire is far too big a lump for a lightweight road machine - may be OK for touring. I only use CO2 for racing emergencies.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Alexei
    Alexei Posts: 76
    Thanks for advice, I'll go frame fit, I've got a Top Peak F Fit on my current bike, was thinking about how it looks, but also the practicality of flatting miles from home and not being able to get above 65-70psi.
  • wastelander
    wastelander Posts: 557
    Another vote for the Crank Bros power pump - it really is small and surprisingly effective - it weighs next to nothing and fits underneath my seat wedge bag...I don't even notice that it's there and as I ride alone I'm not bothered if it takes me 2 or 10 minutes to inflate to 80-85 psi.
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    For short rides I carry a mini-pump (Topeak Micro Rocket CB for all its blingness) but you can still get 100psi into a tyre with it (although your hands will be hurting after this).

For longer rides (where I don't want to be wasting time, or where I may get multiple p*nct*r*s) I'll fit a Zefal HPX frame pump.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    I've got a Crank Bros pump and the Innovations Road Air is a lot better, so I use that now. More of a midi pump than mini, but it clips on by the bottle cage and is fairly unobtrusive.

If you want a full size frame pump the HPX is the best.
  • edwardvarla
    edwardvarla Posts: 121
    I got a Topeak Micro Rocket AL for my birthday and am really pleased with it. It's tiny and light, but feels really solid when you're using it. I can get a good pressure with it because it's strong enough to give it some welly!