Trek 1000

Dscotland
Dscotland Posts: 34
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
hi can anyone recommend this bike at this price ??
thank you

Trek 1000 2007
£399.99
dlamb

Comments

• Dscotland
    Dscotland Posts: 34
    Carrera Valour Large Road Bike £299
    dlamb
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    personally, I'd go the extra £100 for the trek 1000 - it is highly rated and actually won cycling plus magazine bargain bike award. It's quite a racy riding position however so check that it fits (they do a pilot range which is the all-day-comfort version). it also has eyelets and clearance for mudguards etc if needed.
  • whiskywheels
    whiskywheels Posts: 628
    I'm very impressed with the Trek 1000. The geometry seems to suit me well, but for the money it really is quite excellent. I use it as a winter/audax bike, but to be fair I've upgraded the wheels to Bontrager Race Lite; it rides and handles beautifully. It's much better than my previous winter bike, Specialized Allez. The only criticism would be that when on the drops you can't reach the 'peg' changers, but that's only really relevant when racing.
    The price, £100 less than I paid in Jan '07, makes it an absolute bargain!
  • john ponting
    john ponting Posts: 491
    Not ridden one but only seen good reports.

The new SL 1000 was in my LBS at the weekend at £500 - very tempting.
  • Bong
    Bong Posts: 11
    I bought last years 1200 earlier this year - same frame. By flipping the stem you can, if you want, have the bars higher and a more upright riding position. It then looks a bit like the stem in the pictures of the Pilot. This was mentioned in the C+ review. It seems quite versatile to me.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,775
    That seems like a veyr good buy - JE James?

Does anyone have a scan or link to the C+ review of the 1000?
    After a bike for my GF, and this seems to fit the bill.

Double or triple chainset?

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I've been riding a triple 1000 for four years as a second / taining bike (MTB'ing is my main passion). It's a well balanced package - the frame, wheels & gruppo compliment each other well. Not a frame that justifys much upgrading though - perhaps Tiagra when things wear out. I've replaced only tyres, tubes, brake blocks and chain on this bike; it therefore represents excellent value for money. I keep expecting to have to replace bits, since I've done Gog knows how many miles on it, but it simply keeps going. The Sora gruppo may be a bit heavy but it's tough, Except for the STI levers perhaps which look a little cheap & plastic. That said, they still work fine. Handling wise it's OK on climbs but really good on downhills - very stable. Go for the triple - very little extra weight and more flexibility.

Even at the full price it's a good buy. If in a couple of years time you want to upgrade I'd keep the trek as a second bike.

Ribble bikes might also be worth a look. They've got something similar but with a higher spec at 399 right now.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,775
    I picked up a 2006 ex display Trek 1000, in immaculate condition, for £310 from a very good bike shop.

My gf is delighted with it, and it is really light (It's a double) being only marginally heavier than my Felt.

£310 for a decent aluminium frame, Carbon forks and seatpost was a serious result in my eyes, and it is a gorgeous looking bike.

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18