Tri-bars

zummerzet_lou
zummerzet_lou Posts: 232
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
I asked this on the old C+ forum, so apologies if you've already read this and given your opinion.

I have a Sirrus Comp ... and as much as I love it, was debating about fitting some tri-bars to it.

I commute to work daily (an 8 mile round trip), but am also doing weekend rides of 30+ miles. I have bar ends, but still sometimes get numb wrists.

Would the tribars help? Or do you think the reach would be too great to be comfortable?

Thanks,

Lou
Zummerzet Lou

Cycle shorts have magic powers that make a big bum look HUGE!!

Comments

• AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Depends on your back flexibility. If you get relatively short ones, you should get away with it (especially if you don't have the stem super-low already). The position definitely takes the edge off the wrists for a while (and it's deliciously wooshy on downhills).
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    i have seen several riders use them on AUDAX rides to give a choice of positions.

If you think they may be of help give them a try

george
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    They're good for about an extra 3-5km/h. They aren't super comfortable for long stints... but they do give you an option.

However - I'd be concerned about your safety, depending upon where your commute is. If you are in traffic, you want to be close to your brakes. I pretty-much only use mine when competing in Triathlon, or on a very secluded road or a road that has a lot of safety buffer space on it, just in case.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • thanks guys ..

I probably would't get much ue out of them on my commute .. there is one stretch which I might be OK to use but with lights, cars etc I shall probably opt to sit more upright.

Their main use was going to be for my longer rides, predominantly in the New Forest which has lots of quite lanes and roads .. esp at the ungoldly hour I go out (leave at about 7am so before most people are up).

Lou
    Zummerzet Lou

Cycle shorts have magic powers that make a big bum look HUGE!!
  • jgr
    jgr Posts: 19
    Can anyone recommend a good budget set of short tri bars?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I'm interested in the recommendations too JGR.

Also anyone got any experience of taking the handlebar brakes of a trek pilot 1.0 so tri bars can be put on? I've heard it's quite tricky, might it be a job for a shop?
  • AndyGates
    Cheap and cheerful: Profile Century.
  • jgr
    jgr Posts: 19
    Cheers Andy, I have a pair of century bars and find them a bit long. I end up gripping the straight bit of bar before the bent bit at the end. I would like to find something shorter, possibly with lower pads.
  • AndyGates
    Ah, in that case I think you need to go up to something with adjustable reach.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    The profile jammer GT are quite a bit shorter, but I doubt they fit into your 'budget' category.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360008177
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'