How was it for you?

Stark.
Stark. Posts: 108
edited July 2007 in The bottom bracket
After all the build-up, how was the Tour's weekend in England for you?

A bunch of us saw the opening ceremony, which apart from the overlong dialogues between two precocious French kiddies was fine.

For the Prologue we were down at the Serpentine and saw some great action. Am I wrong, or are Cancellara's legs twice the size of anyone else's?

Yesterday we caught the breakaway group and peloton as it passed near Mereworth.

Just loved the whole atmosphere and the turnout (particularly for the Prologue) was immense. But guess what? When we got home, BBC News was only running it as the fifth story in its sports bulletin. Shame on them.

Comments

• jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    Jammy bugga

pics?????

I enjoyed the TV coverage and it was brilliant to see so many people out, and everything seemed to have gone perfectly.

Except I heard someone removed drain covers from one town/village, is this true?

george
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Removed drain covers? What?! Surely not!?

I thought it was great. Brilliant start to this years race.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Agree - was fabbo!

I wandered around the prologue course, watching most of it on Constitution Hill. The noise as the Brits came past was awesome - amazing to see so many people cheering the lads on.

Watched the ribbon cutting ceremony on Tower Bridge - again great to see so many people out so early on a Sunday morning.

All weekend I was amazed to see so many people wandering around in TdF t-shirts and caps, waving T-mob hands and having a great time.
  • I missed the showcase on the friday as I had a race of my own, but I did see sunday as it went straight passed my house so that was a great spectacle.
    Where did all the Elephants go?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Starkpro wrote:
    Yesterday we caught the breakaway group and peloton as it passed near Mereworth.

Bl**dy H*ll you must have done well to get over the gap to catch the break.I presume you blew up after that as I never saw you finish in the leading group
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    :D:D:D:D:D ...amazing weekend...went to the prologue...atmosphere electric...the police praised the crowds in Kent on Sunday, one huge carnival, and no arrests...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    Did the whole three days, and got a prime spot on the last corner onto the Mall at the prologue. Massive sunburn.
  • beanzontoast
    beanzontoast Posts: 1,457
    We did the whole weekend and it was just brilliant. I've never seen a spectacle like it, the weather was ace and everyone seemed suitably chilled out.

My one regret is not buying a t-shirt before they sold out of small size - medium was way big!

Edited by beanzontoast looking ever so carefully for mistakes
  • Watched the prologue at Hyde Park Corner just past Wellington Gate, spectacular,. Then on Sunday watched them sign in and then stood 5 yards behind kilo 0 on the Mall while they all formed up in front of me. Miller signed autographs for the woman next to me and the yellow jersey brushed passed as he made his way to the front - hairs on neck standing up stuff. Interesting to watch the riders interacting with each other, some chatted, others fiddled with their kit and a couple of the young lads looked positively scared.

I cycle, run, and hill walk.
    Legs like Popeye, arms like Olive Oyl. (Abs like Bluto).