No help for Cav ?

moray_gub
moray_gub Posts: 3,328
edited July 2007 in Pro race
Dya think maybe the tee mobs should have dropped a few riders back to help out the young Manxman ? I know they were maybe going with Eisel but the Quicksteps and Lampre were doing all the work so they could have at least tried Predidctor did it with Robbie and managed to get back on albeit with a great bit of effort. There were still about 20ks to go so it would have been worth a go at least. I dont think hed have beaten Robbie but it would have been nice to see him try. Still maybe he will be in the shakeup tommorow

cheers
MG
Gasping - but somehow still alive !

Comments

• Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Eisel was interviewed before the off and said the team would be working to get Cavendish up into the mix. He had more than one problem en route and he is not of a standard close to Robbie - yet - so I don't think he'd be too fussed, apart from with the spectator. Just goes to show how easy it is to come a cropper and that spectators have to have their wits about them as well as the riders.
  • Agreed. They decided it was a lost cause, especially when his first bike replacement was a duff. I bet he's pissed, though.

Apparently, T Mobile are telling him to bottle all his anger, and let it out in the finale tomorrow.

When Millar will retain his polka dot jersey, seeing as there are no hills between Dunkirk and Ghent.

Cars don\'t kill people.
    Motorists do.
  • lucretius
    lucretius Posts: 143
    Good work by the SDV boys to get him a jersey, although I think Cofidis missed a trick by not contesting the 2nd place on the last climb.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    I bet McEwan never got any support from his team in such situations when he was a 1st year pro either.

At this point I think this kind of disappointment is a better learning experience for Cavendish than if he'd stayed out of trouble and somehow managed to win the stage.
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    Noodley wrote:
    Eisel was interviewed before the off and said the team would be working to get Cavendish up into the mix. He had more than one problem en route and he is not of a standard close to Robbie - yet -

Actually I think he is very close to Robbie, and far better than Eisel
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    does anyone know what actually happend, only saw highlights and they gave no details.... only showed cav shouting on the side of the road..??
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • firsthippy
    firsthippy Posts: 639
    He hit a spectator and damaged his bike. Read about it in the report for Stage 1 on www.cyclingnews.com.
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    The story in Cav's own words: http://tinyurl.com/2vea2v
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Poor guy. What a shame for him. Ah well, hopefully he'll get another chance.
  • Well they had a great leadout for him today. Just bad luck once again that he was caught in that crash.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    ricadus wrote:
    I bet McEwan never got any support from his team in such situations when he was a 1st year pro either.

At this point I think this kind of disappointment is a better learning experience for Cavendish than if he'd stayed out of trouble and somehow managed to win the stage.

Whether he is a first year pro or not is irrelevant as he is their main sprinter, i heard the DS Brian Holm say yesterday they tried to get two guys to drop back but the team cars and and stage of the race made it impossible. I cant agree either with your opinion on a crash or winning a stage being a better learning experience ??? There is no better learning experience than winning surely ?

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !