ian wright

Buggi
Buggi Posts: 674
edited July 2007 in The bottom bracket
.... did you see him fall off his bike bcoz he couldn't get his cleats out on le Tour coverage today? :lol::lol:

To infinity... and beyond!
my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

Comments

• overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    No didn't see it. Could you post a link?

Not that I'd take any pleasure from his fall! I've had my 'clipless moments' too! :oops:

EDIT: Oh it was already on TV!
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    i don't know how to post a link :(

but he did it quite gracefully. i'm larfing coz i've done myself 3 times so it's nice to see someone else do it. :D

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    As he put his arm out I thought he was about to snap his collar bone :shock:
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Did he manage to complete the ride he was doing? Was it the cyclosportive? Didn't sound like he'd done much training.
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    I saw it, don't think he hurt himself. Yes it was the British Cyclosportive, and he did it in 9 hours something, suggesting he did not engage in too much training.
    ________
    Wholesale Vaporizers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Wrighty was on one of our club runs a few months back - he's a mate of another ex footballer that's been doing a bit of pedalling with us lately.

From what I was told (I wasn't out that day) he got to the cafe (30 mile ride at 16-18mph) and ended up having to be pushed home. Hadn't touched his bike in over 2 weeks........hardly the best preparation for riding big miles this Summer.

He's riding the first week of the Tour route with Geoff Thomas for charideee as we speak I believe.

Fair play to him though, he actually finished the Kent Sportif last weekend, even though he had hurt himself to do it.
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    He did the London - Canterbury in 9hr 16min not bad for a none cyclist just getting on a bike......
    and as for cleats, been there done that..........
    Keep going Wrighty, it 's for a good cause
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, definitely have to admire the guy, I can only imagine the pain he must have been feeling after 9'16" in the saddle as a new cyclist. Truly awesome thinking about it. I'd bet he would be a great guy to go riding with.
    ________
    Chevrolet Celta Specifications
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • Regulator
    Regulator Posts: 417
    edited July 2007
    * Message deleted by me*
    Wrighty is a legend. Love listening to him each afternoon on Talk Sport. Fair play to him for doing this.
  • regulator thats a very bold statement d'you have any evidence to prove he's homophobic? i've known wrighty for years and even went to school with shaun and think he's a great guy.
    i remember once pulling over to chat to an ex-girlfriend pulled up trying to look cool forgot to unclip and dropped to my left onto the pavement right at her feet...needless to say any chance of a reunion horizontal jog with her were well and truly gone! :oops:
    dangerous jules.
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    regulator thats a very bold statement d'you have any evidence to prove he's homophobic? i've known wrighty for years and even went to school with shaun and think he's a great guy.
    i remember once pulling over to chat to an ex-girlfriend pulled up trying to look cool forgot to unclip and dropped to my left onto the pavement right at her feet...needless to say any chance of a reunion horizontal jog with her were well and truly gone! :oops:

but you were ready weren't you............
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • overmars
    Wright is a legend. Fantastic footballer...

... I could 'ave him on a bike though. BWAAAAHAH HAHA! :twisted:

Regulator how do you know he's homophobic?
    *cough*frustrated spurs supporter*cough*
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    Ian Wright was riding with the Fireflies at the Cyclesportive. It's worth checking out their website. The film takes a while to download but being 'mejia' people take a look.

If you ever see the Fireflies 'live', with the possible exception of the TdeF you will never see a larger collection of of totally over the top full kevlar expensive bikes and Rapha gear from socks to hat

http://www.thefirefliesride.com/
  • philip99a
    philip99a Posts: 2,272
    Very well done Mr Wright. We all have clipless moments anyway.

He's exactly the kind of enthusiastic popular guy we need to attract folk to (slightly more) serious cycling. We all know that cycling, of all types has a long way to go here, so let's encourage him. We need him. End of sermon

Big thanks to Mr Wright and keep it going. You're only as big as your last hill.
    Cycling - the most fun you can have sitting down.
  • Steve Austin
    Steve Austin Posts: 1,803
    I rod with him for 20 or so miles yesterday 8)
  • Regulator
    Regulator Posts: 417
    regulator thats a very bold statement d'you have any evidence to prove he's homophobic? i've known wrighty for years and even went to school with shaun and think he's a great guy.

Yes - I do have evidence. Although I do acknowledge that his attitudes appear to have changed in recent years, therefore I will delete my OP.
    A ex footballer like Ian Wright will allways have a good level of fitness he comes across as someone that looks after himself, its good for cycling.

Falling off clipped in is a right pain in the *** lol more so when everyone sees ya we have all been there :lol:
  • overmars
    The ride with Geoff Thomas... is that going to be a documentary? If so I'd be interested in seeing it and if anyones got any info on it... :?: