TdF: will the Grand Depart cause a surge in cycling?

donvelo
donvelo Posts: 32
edited July 2007 in The bottom bracket
Was watching the coverage on Eurosport the past two days and people interviewed etc were surprised at the great interest the Grand Depart in London generated. Was it just the good weather and the 'good day out' feel or do people on the forum think there will be a surge of interest in cycling as a result of the event? Just in London or beyond it?

Shame about the lack of terrestial TV coverage, absolute shame. :(

"These are not the bikes we're looking for. Move along, move along"

Comments

• Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    for a short time yea. everyone will go out, buy a road bike, use it twice and then put it in the garage for all eternity.

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • Buggi wrote:
    for a short time yea. everyone will go out, buy a road bike, use it twice and then put it in the garage for all eternity.

indeed.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    just like rugby after the world cup victory peaked for 3 months then dissapeared back to sky sports extra!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,701
    I saw a huge number of kids on bikes and a few families as I rode home yesterday evening. Not sure if they normally ride around or if it was because they'd seen the TDF though.
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    Buggi posted

But some of those bikes might appear on ebay later!!!

Lets just hope some of them bought decent bikes.

george
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    Well it will peak for now, that's for sure!

It's also one of the reasons why I just booked early for the London to Southend ride. Usually I would book on the day, but have a feeling they'll be lots of riders attending.
    :D
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    jibi wrote:
    Buggi posted

But some of those bikes might appear on ebay later!!!

Lets just hope some of them bought decent bikes.

george

Someone after my own heart... :lol::lol:
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    If it gets a few kids on bikes that would be great. If only the Tour was televised daily on a main channel - it might get them hooked.

I think one of the key factors in getting a surge of cycling post Tour is a good weather for the next few weeks. If the dodgy weather continues people will soon forget. If the weather is nice they might think about going out on their bikes for once, enjoy it, and do it more regularly.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    I'm sure there'll be a good few people out of the million odd that made the effort to watch on the street who will now get out on there bikes. There may even be some 5 year olds who've now set their sights on being a pro cyclist when they're older and who knows.....a future tour winner may be sat gazing out of his window at school picturing McEwans ball busting sprint for the line and thinking "Thats what I want to do".

I'm bursting with pride as a result of the weekends events! I only watched the snippets on ITV and followed the live text on Cycling News but I'm stoked about it. Especially as todays my last day at work before I head off to the Alps to watch them there! :lol::lol: :P :D:o :!: :twisted: :wink::D 8)