The move

blacksun
blacksun Posts: 381
I come back from a short trip and everythings changed.

Heh, how are you kids coping with the change?
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally ~ W. C. Fields

Comments

• schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Well about 80% of threads across the entire forum are folk moaning about it.
  • no-one's coping. The place has been an utter shambles. No-one's using the forum so it's going to fall flat on it's face very soon.
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    I actually like it. No one else seems to though.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    no-one's coping. The place has been an utter shambles. No-one's using the forum so it's going to fall flat on it's face very soon.

Yep it is crap!
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • prian
    prian Posts: 114
    Nearly everyone hates it!
  • truespin
    truespin Posts: 155
    It seemed like a good idea - create one big forum of collected knowledge. However the execution sucks...

Unfortunately the forum is buggy & incomplete (whilst the old forums are still locked) meaning nearly everyone resents & dislikes it and quite a few have gone elsewhere...
  • Yeah, it would be nice to have this many people all of the one forum...but the way they've gone about it is not ideal.
    Hopefully it'll get better when they have it properly set up but they shouldn't have opened it up untill it was ready.
  • Red Lemon
    Red Lemon Posts: 3,433
    The CyclingPlus crowd seem to be most upset about it. I think some have actually cried.
  • Gingersaurus
    Gingersaurus Posts: 466
    Only because they lost their post counts...
  • blacksun
    blacksun Posts: 381
    Well, I haven't had a good look about the place yet and to be honest... I can't see _any_ difference. It's a forum that has more sub-sections and more members, and that's about it.

I really can't see why some of you are crying about this, you still have the sandbox, it's still going to be the majority of the same members frequenting it.

At the end of the day... get over it.
    I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally ~ W. C. Fields
  • Mortiroloboy
    Mortiroloboy Posts: 840
    Only because they lost their post counts...

Not true, we are a bit pi$$ed off because a lot of us felt that we had a nice cosy forum, layed out well, user friendly and better that this lumbering, advert infested pile of pants.
    The contributor formerly known as - 2191flint
  • Sheepish
    Sheepish Posts: 93
    truespin wrote:
    It seemed like a good idea - create one big forum of collected knowledge. However the execution sucks...

Unfortunately the forum is buggy & incomplete (whilst the old forums are still locked) meaning nearly everyone resents & dislikes it and quite a few have gone elsewhere...

yeah, that's what i thought, but you can never beat the old mbuk, that was "street" or "off the wall" in some way. this place is more depressing than something very depressing, and the animated smilies are shite. and the subject box in each post as well....
    Uncooked Prawn
  • UH DH
    UH DH Posts: 4,160
    People have been taken out of their warm, aesthetically pleasing, stable forum and placed in a cold, clean, clinical pile of code thats barely holding together. I wonder what the people "working" on this forum are actually doing as all I've seen so far is features get switched off. This forum is a simple free-to-use template. I've used it in the past, and even without technical knowhow, I made it look better than this. Most of the features are built in, so why are they messing up?

I think they got someone in to implement the forum who blagged their way through the interview and is now sat at a desk reading a copy of "Internet Forums for Dummies".
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
  • the old mbuk forum looked good and was alot easier to use.
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    UH DH wrote:
    People have been taken out of their warm, aesthetically pleasing, stable forum and placed in a cold, clean, clinical pile of code thats barely holding together. I wonder what the people "working" on this forum are actually doing as all I've seen so far is features get switched off. This forum is a simple free-to-use template. I've used it in the past, and even without technical knowhow, I made it look better than this. Most of the features are built in, so why are they messing up?

At a guess, i'd suggest a few of the problems are rooted in trying to get this forum to talk to the backend of the other. And the few quick and dirty hacks it took to do it.

And possibly integrating it into the rest of the site. I've no idea, though, i've never poked around its code.