Build It Yourself costing

I Dream Of Stumpy
edited July 2007 in XC and Enduro
Anyone hazard a guess what it would cost to put together a top spec. XC trail m/c using XT components - have an idea about a frame ( S-Works Stumpy ) / forks ( Fox Float ) & wheels ( Merlin wheel build ) but not sure what the other finishing kit might run to - would it be as well to start with all LX instead to save the initial outlay and replace it with XT as the LX wears out??

Comments

• Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    There is a guy from the MBUK forums (screen name = Ddoogie) and he custom build basically that exact bike. Not sure what he paid for it all but might be worth sending him a PM and asking about it?
  • Scubar
    Scubar Posts: 453
    Basically just take the price of the Stumpy elite and add a couple hundred £ to it, thats an estimation of how much it will cost to custom build it yourself. Thats the trouble i wanted to custom build a bike but when i priced it up it came to £1800 and i could get a better spec bike for £200 less.

My Marin Hawkhill 2007 - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1382583/
  • the spec. on the Stumpy Elite was the one I was looking at - but without actually trawling all the appropriate web-sites for costings I asked what the LBS thought. They reckoned to build a ( near ) top end bike would be relatively cheaper if not very similar to getting one off-the-peg. They said it would be a different story at the lower end of the market - say £500 or so - something to do with margins - greater room for allowances and discounts the more expensive you go apparently, which, I think, makes sense? :oops:
  • Scubar
    Scubar Posts: 453
    If your going to spend that much money you should wait for the new XT groupset to come out. Its simply fantastic. I cant wait to pointlessly spend £500 on a groupset that i will already have.

My Marin Hawkhill 2007 - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1382583/
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    Have a look at the bike in my sig.

S-works Stumpy FSR frame - £650
    Fox Float R - £240
    Full XT groupset from Merlin - £500
    Thomson post - £45
    SDG Ti saddle - £35
    Race Face Next bars - £60
    Michelin XCR AT tyres - £40

I hunted around the internet for bargain. www.on-one.co.uk are excellent, as are Merlincycles. I ended up spending about £1700 on it in the end with the build costs. Its the little touches that make it so worth it as well. You may well be able to pick up the Stumpy Elite for £1800 but it will have cut corners. Cassettes, chains, front mechs, saddles, posts, bars are all areas where off-the-peg bikes skimp on.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • Cheers for that! - where did you get the S-Works frame? ( for £650 :shock: ) - seems like a bargain? - I know the new XT is due out shortly so waiting with interest :!:
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    I got mine from Ebay (brand new) but a week later they were on the internet shops for the same price with a Thomson post :twisted:

www.bikescene.co.uk are good at end of season deals on Spesh frames.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.