Storm in a teacup

jibi
jibi Posts: 857
edited July 2007 in The bottom bracket
Looks like this place is settling down and we are all finding out about each other.

I think it will be a good site and the cross-cultural bias should die down,

We can read more posts and posters becoming used to the ad hoc "rules"
of the forums ( fora)

I quite enjoy the excitement and turmoil.
How about you?

Finding your way around, meeting new people, learning etc

after all we all ride bikes.

george

Comments

• JinjaNinja
    JinjaNinja Posts: 1,033
    yer, its a good laugh seeing as its only a forum at the end of the day.

I can see why theres a cake shop and soap box after popping into the later... Geez they like complaining about anything in there!

Few weeks at most and we're all be having a virtual pint at teh same table me thinks.
    logo.jpg
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Yep, I'm on the same wavelength. Quite irritating that people have just upped and left to a cosy prefab rather than grabbing a piantbrush and putting some graft in. I hope they come back when we've finished decorating. :lol:
  • Steve Austin
    Steve Austin Posts: 1,803
    So the fact that everyone has left hasn't changed the feel of the Road section at all :roll:

Not one post in soapbox for over and hour on a Friday afternoon isn't exactly normal.
    i would love to be able to chew the fat with you all, but there is no-one here!
  • SJ
    SJ Posts: 2,871
    I think I'm going to have to check out this 'Soapbox' place...
    If I'm not back in ten minutes, just wait longer...
    a dirtbag of the most delightful variety
  • alecstilleyedye
    alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170
    So the fact that everyone has left hasn't changed the feel of the Road section at all :roll:

Not one post in soapbox for over and hour on a Friday afternoon isn't exactly normal.
    i would love to be able to chew the fat with you all, but there is no-one here!

cycling plus is now in exile at www.cyclechat.co.uk

find me, arch, partick stephens, cab, mosschops2, keith oates etc etc etc etc
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    No its not 'normal' but when the dust has settled it'll get back to normal. The trouble is, if everyone loses patience and bggers off elsewhere before the dust has settled we're left with a fractured commuity spread around a number of different forums.

As take that say...

Have a little....patience.
  • cycling plus is now in exile at www.cyclechat.co.uk

find me, arch, partick stephens, cab, mosschops2, keith oates etc etc etc etc

I'm trying to join up right now - how long should the confirmation e-mail take to come?

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not giving up on this place, but it is interesting how the whole atmosphere of a pub can change with a new landlord.

I cycle, run, and hill walk.
    Legs like Popeye, arms like Olive Oyl. (Abs like Bluto).
  • Red Lemon
    Red Lemon Posts: 3,433
    You're all welcome in the sandbox. Bring a flamethrower and an asbestos suit in case something kicks off :D
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    Posted by Steve Austin
    So the fact that everyone has left hasn't changed the feel of the Road section at all

Of course it has. No-one is disputing that.

Some believe that it may be for the better, some are not prepared to "change" so be it.

Change is a fact of life and we have to learn to handle it.

I am just saying let's give it a go. Make suggestions in the various Office forums, and maybe we will have a cycling forum.

Each to their own.

Enjoy

george
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I think it will be ok. I came over from the procycling forum and this one seems a lot more active.
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    I like it here :shock:
  • speshcp
    speshcp Posts: 3,746
    Red Lemon wrote:
    You're all welcome in the sandbox. Bring a flamethrower and an asbestos suit in case something kicks off :D

Feel free to drop into Soapbox, though it looks like some of the old regulars have departed for pastures new. The dress code is Nomex underwear - it goes better with the lycra... :twisted: :wink:
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I think it will be ok. I came over from the procycling forum and this one seems a lot more active.

it will be the proC was a bit quiet.

C+ is normally very busy as is the MBUK lot. just need to get the layout sorted and it will be a lively site.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Cyclechat doesnt look that busy either ?

Maybe everyone has B*ggered off to see the Tour today ?

I think I'll hang round here cos I'm lazy...
  • john ponting
    john ponting Posts: 491
    I really cannot understand what the defectors have been whinging about.

Everybody (with a few accidents) got transfered and didn't need to regeister.

All threads and posts (with a few accidents and some that really had passed their sell by date) got transferred.

Somebody moaned about there now being a 'womens' forum but then moved to CyleChat, where there is a 'womens' forum.

Several moaned that there were too many forums (fora?) but then moved to CycleChat where there are 22 forums.

Several complained about having to select Road before Forum ather than just create another direct bookmark.

Several complained that quotes and img or url inserts were not working and defected without giving admin a chance to correct it.

Several complained that they didn't like to colour and defected without giving admin a chance to correct it.

Several complained that they didn't know the change was going to happen even though it has been featured on the C+ home page for a while now, and regularly in Office forum.

MY MAIN COMPLAINT is that it was transferred and sold to us as a beta!!!! and then they closed C+. So it is now LIVE not beta test.

ALSO the problems that have arisen show that almost no testing at all was carried out. I've worked in IT since Decimalisation Day and have been responsible for several large IBM mainframe stites and they associated installation and/or upgrading of hardware, opsys and applications. ALWAYS test first.
  • mangaman
    mangaman Posts: 704
    I agree

I've put a few suggestions around for the admins and I'll give it a go

When the "big clear out" of the old cakestoppers on C+ happened a few years ago and they all went to acf I actually thought the site improved personally

Once the dust has settled here and we're all used to each other it'll be cool
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I do think cyclists by nature tend to be loners.

And also - if my club is anything to go by - very whingey too !

How many splinter groups have we had now ? ;-)
  • Steve Austin
    Steve Austin Posts: 1,803
    Its more than a forum though isn't it?

I frequent another forum more than here anyway 8)

Mleh
  • john ponting
    I agree, cakestop is more than just a forum. Hopefully CycleChat Cafe will pick up a bit now ... nothing at all between October 2006 and this week.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Isn't decamping to another forum before this one has had a chance to get sorted a little bit daft?
  • Mr Celine
    Mr Celine Posts: 170
    Isn't decamping to another forum before this one has had a chance to get sorted a little bit daft?

No its not. What is daft is closing a forum without testing the replacement. And what is totally unacceptable is spamming me everytime I post.

I'm off to cycle chat. Bye. :(
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    In my eyes it's all a little disappointing that people are not giving the new forum setup a little more time to bed down.

Yes, I am sure the transition could have be a little smoother but C+ was a great place and I'm sure this place could be too if we gave it a chance.

There haven't been many posts int he last few days but as people settle in I'm sure they'll pick up.
    Rich
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Speaking as one of the the detractors I feel that I may have been a bit hasty with my condemnations in retrospect. I do hope that you are right that the site will bed-in given time. I am going to keep an eye on things here and at cyclechat to see how things develop.
    I have pain!
  • john ponting
    Nobody can ask more of anybody IvanCarlos.

I guest visit ACF a couple of times a week as well as C+ most days (back in the days ... )but still have to fit in my very frequent visits to a couple of MG sites (independant as well as owners club) whilst still maintaining my interest in Triumph motorbikes.

In between I have to fit my IT Manager responsibilities - including regular checks to ensure that our ADSL is still running!
  • gbb
    gbb Posts: 1,240
    Taken me while to enter into it !!.
    I will hang around...like you said, everything changes in the end, but i think the pages are not so user friendly, text is too small...is it scrappy, or am i just not used to it yet.

I welcome some new faces and backgrounds....once eveyones settled in, it'll be fine.

Chill out, fer Christsakes....
  • Rhythm Thief
    Rhythm Thief Posts: 2,787
    ivancarlos wrote:
    Speaking as one of the the detractors I feel that I may have been a bit hasty with my condemnations in retrospect. I do hope that you are right that the site will bed-in given time. I am going to keep an eye on things here and at cyclechat to see how things develop.

Agree with this. I'm a moderator at CycleChat now though (I've only been there 5 minutes!) so I won't get so much time here any more. I'll pop in sometimes though.