Full face!

Aux1
Aux1 Posts: 865
edited July 2007 in XC and Enduro
After viewing some of the face plant compilations on youtube, I got the idea to get me a full face helmet... Although I don't jump roofs and stairs but ride cross country, there are some fast rooty descents and trees around and a face plant at those speeds could be veeeeery nasty! So that big clumsy looking helmet I first thought was "too much" could even be a good idea...

What, hook it outside the backpack? Or on the bars somehow? Is it practical to climb with?

Comments

• ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    A faceplant is never going to be pleasent but I really wouldn't want to lug a full face helmet around with me. If you feel you need the confidence boost then by all means, go for it. My advice would be to ride within your ability. You don't have to fall too far that way.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • Aux1
    Look at this pic for example. There were some guys on the last ride like this:

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9182 ... 085kh3.jpg

It doesn't look so impractical, especially if the helmet isn't that heavy (how heavy are they anyway?)
    Also the shin pads on the top tube, the same way as I carry them uphill.

And yes, ride within my ability... That way the falls won't be so severe. I had a few but never with catastrophic outcome, just get up dust off and go. A lot thanks to the shin and elbow pads :)
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    Try a Metz Parachute, best of both worlds for XC use :)
  • GYP
    GYP Posts: 151
    How do you know when you'll crash face down.My worst have been at almost walking pace. A trip to the dentists doesn't replace your real teeth :(
  • Aux1
    Well, I walked away from some not so harmless looking crashes completely unharmed because of my pads... However, I managed to beat my left shoulder a little twice, and my right one once but pretty hard. Actually I think I'd need some shoulder pads before the helmet lol :D
    But I'm considering it as a preventive because actually we have some pretty serious downhill sections... you gotta come off the mountain as well right? My current philosophy is, cram as much armor on you as possible, as long as you can carry it uphill comfortably and don't exactly cook yourself inside :)
    Therefore I'm considering a light front/shoulder armor like this http://tinyurl.com/yok7tn , some thigh pads and the helmet... I could carry all those in/on my backpack up. I'm a strong climber lol
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    i think your worrieing way to much about this armour thing. best bet for a full face would be the Metz Parachute as sujested
  • ANDE.B
    ANDE.B Posts: 544
    definately go for the Met parachute if your serious about a full face...

but still... personally i don't think you should ever need pads etc for XC if you are properly in control.... And if the majority of dirt jumpers, 4X's can go without full-facers.....
    My Pinkbike Pics
    "Cycling is just like church - many attend, but few understand." Jim Burlant
  • Aux1
    I tried the L sized 'chute in the shop today. Apparently they don't make the size large enough for my big head :? :lol:
    It fit on my mom's head nicely though lol

My rides consist of a big climb followed by a big descent... However I rode well today and had no "near misses" or anything. Wisely chose to do some walking on the tough sections, no shame with that if you don't ride a FR or DH bike... Had to move aside for a guy on a Kona who was going down throwing stones all around and panicking since it was too steep for him to stop lol... But a mistake can always happen. I did a jump at speed and my front wheel landed on top of a root that went in the direction of the trail, it could have thrown me to the side.... I will go for a helmet to use on the big descent days, hope I won't need it though. 8)
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    I used to D/H with a full face. The thought of riding XC with one on is probably enough to me make me stay at home. :?
    The weight isn't the real issue, although they are heavier. its the poor vision and sensory deprivation that would get me, not to mention the heat.....your head would melt......:lol:
    I wouldn't bother.....seriously..
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • Dale3699
    Dale3699 Posts: 8
    I've always wanted a full-face but apparently they make you hot and sweaty, and make it harder to breath.

I'm dont think i'd use one for XC, but most definately for a bit of DH..However I do go a bit rough on the cross country sometimes..

Would you recommend one?
    http://www.mtbe.co.uk - Mountain biking forum, check it out!

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/album/index.php - Create your own MTB gallery!
  • WillGTJumper
    WillGTJumper Posts: 505
    fox do a pretty neat helmet: the flux
  • Aux1
    Heh.. I flew over the bars today, head first like a superman... I remember seeing the ground very close and putting the forearms in front of the face... and wham... 661 forearm and knee pads took 95% of the impact, suffered some minor scratches on the stomach only. I'm unharmed lol :D Thank God for reflexes, and pads too...

I'm all for normal XC helmets, but where I ride you climb your arse off and get loads of cross country but It's a 1000m altitude difference and you gotta get down somehow, and that means some long and steep trails with lots of tricky spots.

Maybe those full face helmets are a necessary evil when you have a long downhill component on your ride, as I have.
  • Aux1
    Since today, I'm a proud owner of the 661 Strike helmet! :D

http://tinyurl.com/2nlv3a

I checked a number of shops and it was the only model large enough for my big head that fitted properly. It looks prety nice and well made and I'm satisfied. Even my sunglasses fit inside so no need for goggles yet!

After my last superman flight, I decided not to ride another descent without something that can protect the face. Bought the helmet first chance I got... :oops: gotta protect the good looks! 8) :lol:
  • WillGTJumper
    WillGTJumper Posts: 505
    what kind of xc track do you ride on?
  • Aux1
    what kind of xc track do you ride on?

Well, if you got 2 minutes search for Zagreb in google earth, go to 50km eye altitude and you'll see one bigger mountain north by the city, and some rolling hills a bit west of the city. These hills are proper x-country, you go there take out a map and plan a day-long route over several peaks, up and down and up and down, and enjoy the surroundings! :)

And the mountain north of the city is one big climb and one big descent, can be quite steep sometimes. All of us ride that one favorite trail, DH, FR and XC riders, except we XCers go a bit slower and avoid some big drops and jumps, while the DH guys ride some wooden ramps and do all kinds of crazy stuff :D

So I need pads and full face for that big descent on the northern mountain... the western hills are much easier on you :)