AIGCP - Club of ProTour Teams Splits

GroupOfOne
GroupOfOne Posts: 21
edited July 2007 in Pro race
Well we already knew Discovery were out of the AIGCP (the club of ProTour teams), Unibet (rather unsurprisingly) left and then Caisse d'Epargne announced last week that they'd be leaving the group at the end of the season.

Well I see today that the six French teams (Agritubel, CA, FDJ, Cofidis, Bougyes, Ag2r) and the two German (T-Mobile & Gerolsteiner) have announced they're leaving the AIGCP and forming their own club based on the "movement for a reliable cycling sport".

Will be interesting to see which other teams (if any) decide to join them, maybe CSC, possibly Slipstream (as if Agritubel are in, then non-ProTour teams are obviously ok).

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    The AIGCP is a toothless talking shop, so a disbandment makes no difference at all. Isn't it just a forum for Patrick Lefevre to spout crap every month?
  • GroupOfOne
    GroupOfOne Posts: 21
    Argh. Every time I click reply it just takes me to the main forum page. Doh!

Anyway yeah completely agree, wasn't it Manolo Saiz spouting the crap before Leferve got the gig?

But the teams joining/creating this new group perhaps you could see some organisers (the ASO?) saying to partake in their races you must be affiliated to this group (which presumably will have more stringent checks etc, some sort of agreement perhaps one more watertight than the UCI one).

Or of course it'll all get more and more fragmented and chaotic...