Carbon ......much lighter?

Got-to-get-fit
Got-to-get-fit Posts: 106
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Hi,

im still mooching around wondering what new road bike to buy.

I recently picked up a Chris Boardman bike in halfrauds and boy that thing was light!!! it was full dura ace and had carbon forks and seat stays.......gorgeous bike.

However none of my local bike shops have any carbon frame bikes for me to try and i would have to travel further afield to find one ....

can anyone tell me .....is there a vast difference in weight between a full carbon and the boardman one i described......and will i notice a great difference when i pick one up/ride it?????
my evil toad army will rule the world

Comments

• Mortiroloboy
    Mortiroloboy Posts: 840
    In answer to your question, on a mid range carbon frame, there will be some weight advantage (saving). But where you will really notice the difference on a full carbon frame, is the ride quality, low frequency road vibration virtually disappears, and those bigger bumps are reduced, giving a more comfortable ride.
    The contributor formerly known as - 2191flint
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    as above - ride quality is the key with carbon.

if weight is your real 'must have' -yes you could for carbon, but also check out something like the Ribble EM2 aluminium (scandium?) frame - weighs in at 1kg - about the benchmark for a really light frame - but it's ride quality will be much harsher.
  • gary_fisher3
    gary_fisher3 Posts: 3,466
    Most low end carbon bikes are actually rather heavy (relatively). The frames are light but to keep the price down they use rather cheap and heavy components.
  • Mortiroloboy
    Eh! when you say they use heavier/cheaper components on low end carbon frames, what exactly is a low end carbon frame in your opinion? and what would you say was a heavier/cheaper component, what benchmark are you judging by?
  • Steve Austin
    Steve Austin Posts: 1,803
    I've got a Carbon TCR and it really is the business. Light as you like, and comfy as an armchair.

Considering you can get a full carbon 105 bike for 1k its what i would be buying. Everytime
  • gary_fisher3
    gary_fisher3 Posts: 3,466
    Eh! when you say they use heavier/cheaper components on low end carbon frames, what exactly is a low end carbon frame in your opinion? and what would you say was a heavier/cheaper component, what benchmark are you judging by?

Sorry. I mean full carbon bikes sub £1000 / £1250.
    Perhaps cheap wasn't the right expression. I mean that compared to what you'd typically get for your money with an aluminium bike the parts will generally be a lower spec.

For example
    The Focas Cayo. All carbon for £1000. Weighes 8.5kg with 105/Ult.
    The Focus Izalco, Ally, Weighes 7.7kg, Dura-ace.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    The Raleigh Race bike with full Veloce would get my vote ;)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I think some of the peeps in here are far more sensative when riding than me.
    I have 2 steel framed bikes and a full carbon and whilst I can notice the carbon is more responsive when sprinting and climbing I will eat my hat if anyone can notice the difference in comfort riding on the crap roads in Herts and Beds!!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    It's not so much the lightness, although of course this is true (my own bike being 16lbs) but the ride quality as others have said is the real advantage. Carbon IMO is a material which soothes rough road surfaces to some extent and reallly excels, as in takes off, on very smooth tarmac.
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    It's not so much the lightness, although of course this is true (my own bike being 16lbs) but the ride quality as others have said is the real advantage. Carbon IMO is a material which soothes rough road surfaces to some extent and reallly excels, as in takes off, on very smooth tarmac.

I would agree with this entirely as it mirrors my own findings.

One of my bikes has a Kinesis frame that has carbon stays & fork and I would say that it gives the best of both worlds.
  • Mortiroloboy

Ditto, and at my age I appreciate the forgiving ride that carbon offers.
  • giant_man
    Yeah same here flint, good to see you on here btw mate!
  • As above really, the carbon dream is all about ride quality and responsiveness. If you are after shaving off some weight its better to start with your waist line rather than a bike frame - much cheaper and effective that way! Having said that the Cayo's do look pretty damn good for a 1k with Ultegra, 105 and the Mavic Askiums
  • Mortiroloboy
    And you too, must say tho' I'm not overly impressed with this giant Forum thingy at the moment, I much preferred the cosy little C+ version to this. Any Idea How I go about creating a link to my pics?

Feeling under the weather(sore throat cold symptoms) at the mo, so not to with it! Hope I feel better soon , as later on have got to catch a train to London so I can stand around at Whitehall tomorrow and watch the start of the Prologue.( Oh yeah, and stop any terrorists as well) :roll: :wink::)

Due to all the road closures from 22.00 tonight, the job has put me up in a hotel overnight, :D got a briefing in the morning, then out onto the streets of Whitehall in my pointy hat to stand and watch , doesn't happen often , but getting paid to do something I like for a change...result! :D:D

Oh and one last thing, although I have disabled the Email notification function, I still keep getting mail to tell me someone has replied to a topic I'm watching, it's filling up my inbox, how do I stop it? I have checked the appropriate box in my profile, but still they come!! :x
  • giant_man
    yes I know what you mean flint, big place innit?

So I take it you're in the force? The pointy hat thing i mean, and I shall also be there tomorrow somewhere as well, and Kent on the sunday. Can't wait, should be a good one!
  • Mortiroloboy
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, pointy hat, stabbie, hiviz etc, hope it stays dry! Had planned to drive down to parents in Deal then cycle up to Canterbury Sunday, but feeling like sH*t , so will sit back and watch it on the telly instead 8)
  • giant_man
    If I see a police officer with a heavy cold then around Whitehall I shall say hello!

Hope you enjoy the day mate and take care of that cold! Nothing worse is there :oops:

take care
  • Mortiroloboy
    Ha ha ! Carry a rolled up copy of the times, and wear a red carnation in your button hole, so I can spot you in the crowd :lol:
  • Mortiroloboy
    You never came and said hello! What a great day, perfect weather, good natured crowds (mostly) and from my point of view the best seat in the house, only I didn't do too much sitting down, feet a bit sore this morning and still full of snot :wink: But what a great atmos. bloody brilliant :D:D:D
  • We seem to have strayed off the thread somewhat but for my two-penneth, i cant stand this forum. I know it sounds strange but it feels cold and unfriendly.
    I much prefered the C+ site. It seemed more like a cosy chat over tea and Bickies and the posts got more hits and more frequently.

This place is too big too monochrome and too slow.
    my evil toad army will rule the world
  • giant_man
    Yes I know it does feel a bit cold doesn't it. But I think it will be better later and of course it depends if WE make it the place we want.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I've been looking at these types of bikes. I've narowed it down to the focus Cayo or the new Carbon Ribble - Ultegra at about £1100. According to another forum on bike radar it's the same frame as other brands chraging about £500 more, the Ribble I mean. It's light and looks ace.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • giant_man
    Don't discount the Planet X for a nice light carbon monocoque bike with 105 or Ultegra.