New road bike

Mythic
Mythic Posts: 163
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
I am a mountain biker looking for a bit on the side (a road bike lol) i have around £800 to spend but i am willing to go more i will also go second hand. i would also like the mountain bike equivelent of XT (i think it is ultegra) but doesnt have to be a chainset cheers

Comments

• justyn_c_uk
    justyn_c_uk Posts: 126
    I think for around £800 you are probably looking at a Focus Variado from Wiggle or a Ribble lightweight ally frame. Otherwise if you're prepared to sit for a while a closly watch ebay for someone with good feedback there ar bargains on there, for instance this
    Please look at my handmade cycling cufflinks
  • edwardvarla
    edwardvarla Posts: 121
    I just got a Flandria Css-1 and it's a cracking ride. With Campag Veloce it comes in at around £800.
  • exmachina
    exmachina Posts: 57
    Mythic wrote:
    I am a mountain biker looking for a bit on the side (a road bike lol) i have around £800 to spend but i am willing to go more i will also go second hand. i would also like the mountain bike equivelent of XT (i think it is ultegra) but doesnt have to be a chainset cheers

I can't advise you on what bike to ride, it would like the Blind leading the blind. But I made the change from a Claude Butler Mountain Bike to a carbon framed road bike last week and the differece is Amazing.

Change as soon as you can you won't regret it..

But do pay attention to the gearing on the Road bike the lack of low gears is a bit of a problem.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,002
    Wiggle have the Focus Cayo (triple) on offer at about £860. Another carbon offering perhaps in reach of your wallet is the Raleigh kitted out with Veloce.

It may be worth bearing in mind that last year's models will now begin to be advertised at sale prices eg. Hargroves are doing the 2007 Felt F5C for £999 (from £1400)... I bought the 2006 version for £900 in April and its a dream ride, so smooth relative to my '97 Principia RSL!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • fechman
    fechman Posts: 19
    can second what nitrous oxide said and i have also opted to go for the focus cayo triple it has nearly £100off at present i had a budget of approx £1000 so this being carbon at £864 give me plenty of ££'s left to getsome shoes an pedals etc and the triple is kitted out with full 105 which isnt bad at all any way this is just my opinion hpe it helps

C :D