Doing the tonne...

sneeble
sneeble Posts: 14
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Hi Folks,

I've put my name down for doing my first century in 20 weeks time :shock: .

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a training program for zero (fat dads club) to hero (100miles) in 20 weeks.

Has anyone got any advice other than Time In The Saddle.

Would love to hear from you..
Signed
If it ain\'t got bugz in it, you ain\'t getting your daily dose of vitamins!

Comments

• guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    Training programs are still going to contain time in the saddle. Start small and build up increasing in 10% incriments. 20 weeks is loads of time and you didn't stipulate a time limit on the 100 miles.
  • sneeble
    guv001 wrote:
    Training programs are still going to contain time in the saddle. Start small and build up increasing in 10% incriments. 20 weeks is loads of time and you didn't stipulate a time limit on the 100 miles.
    Primarily, I would like to finish :lol:
    I realise I need to spend loads of time in the saddle, however I have seen on the events website that someone has done it 40 times! Maybe someone forgot to tell him where the finish line was?
    Signed
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    sneeble wrote:
    Hi Folks,

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a training program for zero (fat dads club) to hero (100miles) in 20 weeks.

Which one is it? I've sigend onto the BHF LAncaster-York century; so as well as 100 miles there are some decent hills to ride as well!!

I've started from almost zero, but am aiming to ride at least 3 times a week, with my longest ride at the weekends, 50 miles last sunday, aim to do a similar distance this weekend. I started with what i suppose has to be called training about 3 weeks ago, am on holiday in 2 weeks, in france, so intend to carry on with flatter rides here, but then deal with the hills that are going to occur when I get to France.

I've thought about signing on for the Bike Events manchester 100 in early september, which would then give me 2 weeks between that & the BHF ride.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    sneeble wrote:
    Hi Folks,

Forget a training programme you will spend more time reading it !!
    Increase you mileage gradually week on week and buid up to 70 to 80 mile ride eventually. You do not have to ride a 100 to be able to do one.
    Join a club or go on club runs also as it is more fun riding in groups.

I started in November and have done several rides over 90 miles and 4 sportives of 100 and over.
    I also have done several races on road and track.
    I had a good level of fitness from playing squash. If you have good fitness level it is achievable in 12 weeks, if not then 20 weeks is more practical :D
  • sneeble
    Which one is it? I've sigend onto the BHF LAncaster-York century; so as well as 100 miles there are some decent hills to ride as well!!

I've started from almost zero, but am aiming to ride at least 3 times a week, with my longest ride at the weekends, 50 miles last sunday, aim to do a similar distance this weekend. I started with what i suppose has to be called training about 3 weeks ago, am on holiday in 2 weeks, in france, so intend to carry on with flatter rides here, but then deal with the hills that are going to occur when I get to France.

I've thought about signing on for the Bike Events manchester 100 in early september, which would then give me 2 weeks between that & the BHF ride.

The Century I'm intending to do is in New Zealand (as I am due to emmigrate on the 24th of August), around Lake Taupo. Its listed here http://www.bikeradar.com/road/routes/?bpath=maps%2Fbike-path%2FWattyl-Lake-Taupo-Challenge-Classic or http://www.cyclechallenge.com/. It's one of the UCI's 9 Golden Ride series...

The Wattyl Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge is a non-competitive bike ride around New Zealand's largest lake, Lake Taupo, a distance of 160 km. There are seven different Challenges; the Solo riders' 160 km Challenge (which includes Tandem riders), the 160 km Tarmac Relay (2, 3 or 4 riders), the 174 km Dirt & Tarmac Relay (3, 4 or 5 riders) which include an MTB rider in the team, a 320 km twice round the lake Enduro and a 640 km Maxi Enduro.
    Signed
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    jibi wrote:
    Have a look here
    http://www.cptips.com/toc.htm#table

take it easy and you'll get there.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace