Ortlieb Office Bag 2 - recommended?

BrettBurk
BrettBurk Posts: 9
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
I commute about 40 miles per day by bike to work and my pannier on the left that usually carries my laptop, some files and clothes is making my bike unbalanced. I can no longer use my Timbuk2 since my shoulder injury and am looking for another solution.

Has anyone used an Ortlieb Office Bag 2? It mounts on top of the rack and is waterproof. Seems like an excellent solution!

Thanks.

-Brett

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have no experience of the Ortlieb (but it looks good on paper) but I have used the Altura Urban Dryline Briefcase for the past year. I was initially dubious about waterproofness, but it has been totally reliable. It sits on the rack at an angle so increases heel clearance. It looks reasonably okay for use at work, it has a removable padded insert with handles that holds the laptop but I don't use this as I have a fitted slip case for my laptop, but padding is good. It has a front pocket with an organiser thing for pens and other small items. For the price I am very happy with it.

There is a smaller (and cheaper) 15 inch model if your laptop is the right size. This one sits vertically on the rack.
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    BrettBurk wrote:
    I commute about 40 miles per day by bike to work and my pannier on the left that usually carries my laptop, some files and clothes is making my bike unbalanced. I can no longer use my Timbuk2 since my shoulder injury and am looking for another solution.

Has anyone used an Ortlieb Office Bag 2? It mounts on top of the rack and is waterproof. Seems like an excellent solution!

Thanks.

-Brett

Ive no experience of the Office Bag 2, Ive got the Office Bag 1 (or what ever its called) though and I'm very happy with it and Ortlieb. I don't carry a laptop in it though but it keeps things dry and theres plenty of room inside. Its a traditional pannier mount but you are after something that mounts on top of the rack. I do tend to use something smaller most days.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    You carried a laptop in a courier bag? No wonder you have a shoulder injury. I've not experienced an unbalanced bike when riding with one heavy pannier, myself. I'd stick with the pannier, but then the Ortlieb office bags seem to be quite highly recommended.
  • BrettBurk
    Bent - alas, the shoulder injury came from dismounting when the bike was moving at 35mph in a downhill group sprint. The courier bag with laptop and clothes disappeared as an option after that.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Ouch, nasty! I'm still impressed that you carried a laptop in a courier bag!!!
  • BrettBurk
    Yeah, my commute is 6+ miles to the office (with a bus assist) and 33 miles home. Carrying a messenger bag with files, clothes and a laptop made for a sore shoulder/back by the end of most weeks.

I just ordered the Ortlieb Office Bag 2 - I'll let everyone know how it works!

-B